Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Unity3d has received a rather large investment from Sequoia Cap (woo) so they've made a free version of the engine:

http://unity3d.com/#freeunity

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Extreme Cabbie is Kinelco Duo's (the company behind the highly successful Drift n Burn series) first outing using the Unity 3d game engine. The game utilises Unity’s amazing terrain engine to create a taxi game on a huge outdoor landscape.

The game is kind of laggy, and the controls sucks. But it's somewhat impressive... and very open-ended!

Check it out here:
http://www.shockwave.com/gamelanding/extremecabbie.jsp

You'll need to download the Unity3d Player in order to try it, though.

Last edited by c0rt3x; 2009-10-29 at 21:29.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Curiously, I got the following reply to a post of mine on the Unity forum:

Originally Posted by HiggyB
We have staff looking at and investigating a wide range of potential new platforms, both current generation gear and next generation gear (yes, we're in touch with various manufacturers). So no answer here as this is not the place for us to announce nor to commit to anything. I'm offering general commentary that device specific Linux support is more likely than general desktop Linux support.
Now, this is obviously no promise, but this does hint that if Unity was to come to Linux, the N900 (or a successor) would likely be the first door they'd knock on...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
This would be very nice. I haven't actually used the engine yet, but it looks quite user friendly. I know I would probably start working on an MMO in my spare time

Just rebooting this thread with an idea:

Unity3d has a web-based client. http://unity3d.com/unity/features/deployment

Web Deployment
Unity-made games can be played inside a web browser thanks to the Unity Web Player Plug-in. The plug-in download is small (about 3 MB), auto-installs without a browser restart, and already has a 8-digit distribution. It works on all modern browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and most Mozilla-based browsers.

You can publish a web game that is identical to a standalone in visual fidelity from the same Project.

Auto-streaming web players and additional WWW streaming all work together to reduce load times. It's also possible to customize the loading screen colors, progress bar, and graphics to make the short wait a pleasant one."

I wonder if this is good enough to work on the n900 without performance loss? Would get around the lack of ARM Linux version of Unity3d.. (on the proviso that you could store the data on the device..)

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
It would appear that the web plugin is:
- Free of charge, not free as in freedom,
- Only available as Windows and MacOS X binaries.

Doesn't sound terribly hopeful.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:

Tags
game engine, games, unity3d