Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
On the web you can find deb files for many WebOS programs, they make installing the programs on the N900 quite easy, but they contain the actual program files which makes downloading and sharing them illegal in many places. My idea here to help with that situation is to have a program in which you browse to the IPK file you transfered from your Pre and the program will install the contents of the IPK file for you, including adding an icon on the apps menu and doing the ncessary procedure to make the program uninstallable thru regular means.

The program will come with a database of listing programs that need additional actions after the instalation and their respective actions (like installing additional packages, creating folders and files, changing permissions etc), so when it identifies you're installing one of those programs it will also perform all the necessary procedures as well; programs not in the database will just be installed without anything more being done.

Also it would be nice if the program also comes with a databse for the known compatibility status of games (and other programs if known), telling the user the compatibility status and any additional notes while asking for confirmation of if the user really wants install that program; programs not found in that database will instead have a warning saying that in the confirrmation dialog.

It all would be done In a GUI, the program itself being launched from an icon in the apps menu, need for terminal usage by the user should be reduced to a minimum during all stages of the process (some people are afraid of or otherwise avoid using the terminal, this increases the appeal of downloading and using the deb files).

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:

Tags
games, i'm on it, installer, just shoot me, palm pre, preenv