Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Is OSM POI search planned? At least for WCs in Kyiv Google is way behind OSM (5 results in my case versus ~100 in OSM).
It certainly is one of my short term plans is to add POI search to the QML GUI and I will probably use that occasion to make the search functionality more modular, so that more search providers can be used.

BTW, regarding OSM search, what about this:
* using the current presets by assigning appropriate osm tag combinations to them
* and also some sort of raw custom search by tag value ?

When is the next update of monav routing files is planned?
I'm just doing it manually from time to time, but as it seems to work fine, I should finally put it in a every-3-days cron job.

I've found a major problem in Kyiv with pedestrian routing, it thinks that the main entrance to the biggest island is closed, trying to fix it:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/26228652
OK, I'll run an update once the extract for Ukraine on Geofabrik (which is what the modRana data repository system is using as data source) gets updated.

Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
No, Sygic uses its own propriety format that is incompatible with anything else.
+ other issues:
  • can't generate own data packs
  • also probably can't redistribute the existing ones

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Yes, look up "mbrola" in this thread. Installation could be somewhat trial and error (it was for me), but worth the effort if you like a more natural sounding voice...
Originally Posted by martyk69uk View Post
Ok ill look that up thank you very much.
Anyone interested in making a short guide for this ? I can add it to the modRana & Maemo wiki.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Vlaardingen, Netherlands
Just finished messing around and setting up mbrola myself
Not really that complicated but I did it with the help of Midnight Commander and dont know the console command from top of my head.
(mostly copied from page 62 in this thread)

IŽll assume espeak is already working so the next step is getting mbrola.
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr...nux/mbrola.rar
extract it from the rar, and move it in to /usr/bin
I used mc for this and set permissions from the menu to executable by everyone (mc started as root)

then you still need a voice file
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/
I downloaded the us1 zip and unzipped it to MyDocs

next is copying the actual voice file to /opt/espeak/data/mbrola/
in this case the file is: us1

now it should work in espeak
test with : espeak -v mb-us1 "Hello world"

if that works youŽll only have to change the voice option in Modrana
voice parameters to manual
and voice string to
espeak -v mb-us1 -p60 -s120 -a %volume% -m %message%

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Whispering Weasel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Yes, it is not yet implemented in the QML interface. The functionality is of course still there in the modRana core, just not yet exposed through the QML interface.

BTW, if you install GTK and use the GTK interface, routing works like on N900. Just not sure if Espeak is available for N9. If it is, even voice navigation should work.
Espeak is available for N9, but it's not in any official repositories; I put it on my server, the packages you need are espeak, libespeak and espeak-data.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Whispering Weasel View Post
Just finished messing around and setting up mbrola myself
Not really that complicated but I did it with the help of Midnight Commander and dont know the console command from top of my head.
(mostly copied from page 62 in this thread)

IŽll assume espeak is already working so the next step is getting mbrola.
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbr...nux/mbrola.rar
extract it from the rar, and move it in to /usr/bin
I used mc for this and set permissions from the menu to executable by everyone (mc started as root)

then you still need a voice file
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/
I downloaded the us1 zip and unzipped it to MyDocs

next is copying the actual voice file to /opt/espeak/data/mbrola/
in this case the file is: us1

now it should work in espeak
test with : espeak -v mb-us1 "Hello world"

if that works youŽll only have to change the voice option in Modrana
voice parameters to manual
and voice string to
espeak -v mb-us1 -p60 -s120 -a %volume% -m %message%
Thanks, I'll add it to the Wikis.

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Espeak is available for N9, but it's not in any official repositories; I put it on my server, the packages you need are espeak, libespeak and espeak-data.
Nice ! Would be really handy once the QML GUI matures enough to support routing.

@int_ua: I've updated the Monav routing data, so you can check if your fix solved the issue.

In other news, I had some success with the Kothic realtime vector map renderer - looks it takes the coordinates as longitude, latitude - which is reversed to the usual format. So I was not getting anything displayed, because I had data for a part of Czech Republic, but was looking on the middle of some middle eastern dessert instead.

That does not mean there will be Kothic vector map rendering support in modRana right away, but it is definitely getting closer.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Say, is it possible to use Foursquare as a POI source in modRana? Google Local is quite incomplete for my country and many small locations are not available there, but are on Foursquare.

The Following User Says Thank You to Volvagia356 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Volvagia356 View Post
Say, is it possible to use Foursquare as a POI source in modRana? Google Local is quite incomplete for my country and many small locations are not available there, but are on Foursquare.
Any idea if they provide some anonymous interface (so that modRana doesn't have to handle Foursquare login credentials) ?

In other news, modRana 0.40.3 has been release !
The main features of this release are:
  • possible improvements to automatic and batch tile download performance
    Previously some GTK & Gobject thread initilazation methods were not called at startup, which according to the documentation meands that up until now, threads run by modRana might have been dependent on GTK events happening. This would explain slow batch tile download with blanked screen (modRana does not redraw the screen when it is turned off). So see for yourself and please report any findings related to possible performance improvements.
    Bsically, everything that uses threads in modrana (online search/routing, automatic tile download, batch tile download) might be influenced.
  • the map selection dialog in the QML GUI now shows all map layers and is group->layer nested
    It now shares the same map layer data model as the GTK GUI, so both should now show the same (full) nested list of map layers.

This is how the new nested layer selector looks like:

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Looks like I forgot to post the changelog:
Code:
* Sun Apr 14 2013 Martin Kolman - 0.40.3
- GTK GUI: pottentially faster automatic & batch tile download
  - and other activities, such as online lookups, that use threads
  - looks like gobject.init_threads() and gtk.init_threads() was not called before gtk.main()
  - as result, Python threads might have run only when some GTK events happened
  - this would explain why modRana sometimes downloaded tiles slower with blanked screen
- QML GUI: new nested map laer selection dialog that shows all layers
  - it now shares the same data modeld with the GTK GUI
  - as a result, both GUI now should now show the same list of layers

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Thank you, but I am not updating until night theme is usable in QML GUI (and mode image is used for the menu button).
For now, a question: there are were hard-coded values for "layers" in both PinchMap.qml and MapPage.qml. However, MapPage.qml values take precedence, as I found out while hard-coding my preferred values of mapnik-0.5 and vaer-0.5.
By the way, the slider for opacity can be somewhat annoying, especially when there is no way to check the exact value of opacity. Not that important, though, when I can simply hard-code them instead of going through Graphical-User-Interface.
Best wishes. Will post a screenshot later, probably. I am looking for filter-negative for QML Image.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-04-15 at 08:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Hi Martin,

I have compared various mapping tools exists on N900 and concluded that this is the most feature-rich and most actively developed one. However, it is slow comparing to Mappero, especially when I overlay a long track (A GPX file with 10K) makes the app and phone unresponsive. Is there any developments in this regard?

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsever100 For This Useful Post:
Did you push an update to the N900 repos?

You wrote here that the newest version is 0.40.3. I have V0.36.6 git:c59ca30 installed here, for some reason app update doesn't show this new version.

The Following User Says Thank You to gsever100 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps