Active Topics

So i got my nokia n9 made in finland edition today.
i managed to get US T-mobile mms by simply using fast.t-mobile.com and changing the MMSC to the mms.msg.eng..... address and leaving the rest blank.

basically, do I really need to flash to 1.3 00x version ?
the phone is saying it has 1.2 PR_341 version.

the phone and text messaging and mms work.. phone works great, which is all i really need. But i will try to tinker with the drive and maps from the resurrecting thread.

i still left my date as 2011. I can not access any site, i know there is a work around on that. but, if i start downloading apps now, and if you guys think its a good idea to flash to 1.3, will the apps be deleted ?

the phone seems to be working great, is there any advantage in flashing to 1.3? i've never flashed or used a terminal... but i'm trying to learn this year to use terminals, and switching to a linux laptop (pinebook) (any direction/tips on learning linux???)

thank you all. (i couldn't wait any longer for the FxTec Pro1, so i had to jump on this Made in Finland N9)

also, how do i get swype input method on this phone?? i remember it having it. and in one of the sticky posts, it redirects me to an apache license 2.0 ... is this what i need?

also again,, if i download apps from PC, which folder do i transfer the apps unto the N9 ?? (mannn i'm a noob lol :/)

Last edited by johnb543; 2020-03-07 at 02:51.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to johnb543 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Very good choice of device; barring the unavailability of some apps today it is still very useful as a phone device and fun to play with!

Flashing to updated version is of course your own decision; and really I cannot remember offhand what fixes/addition were brought by version 1.3. However there should be a feature list somewhere on maemo.org.

If you flash it, depending on the type of flash you do all your installed applications may disappear and you need to reinstall. also depending on the type of flash, your application data and personal data (pictures and so on) may remain or be wiped.
So be careful what kind of flashing you are going to perform

Of swype I am not sure how to enable it... I remember trying it on N9 but it was years ago... Anyway I just hated it, it could not guess what I wanted to type and everything was a mess.
(maybe it is just my style of typing, I have never gotten swype to work with me in any device, it is just a piece of crap as far as I know)

The application packages for N9 are normal deb files, so you may put them wherever you want to, and install from there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnb543 View Post
basically, do I really need to flash to 1.3 00x version ?
the phone is saying it has 1.2 PR_341 version.

But i will try to tinker with the drive and maps from the resurrecting thread.
No doubt you have already encountered my "sticky" upon forum:http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100215

I don't think that you will realise device's full potential unless you update to PR 1.3, but as last map data available stems from 2015 it may not be worth the bother.

The Following User Says Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
thank you all. i think i will try to flash it to 1.3 001

however, since my version is PR_341 , does that mean I am carrier branded and I have to do "De-brand phone: Comprehensive reset" then another flash to "Upgrade operating system: Replace operating system" ?

based on this thread https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82693)
Warning: Installation of generic firmware images on certain carrier-branded phones seems to be blocked - if you're currently running a carrier-branded firmware image, it's recommended to wait for more details.
2xx, 3xx, 4xx - "Country Variant" and carrier-branded images

so, i'm guessing i think i can just flash directly to this:
DFL61_HARMATTAN_40.2012.21-3_PR_LEGACY_001-OEM1-958
DFL61_HARMATTAN_40.2012.21-3_PR_LEGACY_001-OEM1-958_ARM.bin

with this flasher: WinFlasher_3.12.1.exe

and then continue the #2-8 steps from Aspergerguy's sticky ?

the phone works well, wifi, mms, calling... still kinda scared to do my first flash but i guess i will try
( i don't really need gps/maps or apps, or even web browsing since i still use a secondary phone for all that)

The Following User Says Thank You to johnb543 For This Useful Post:
thank you all. i think i will try to flash it to 1.3 001

however, since my version is PR_341 , does that mean I am carrier branded
Could you post the seven character alphanumeric product code on underside of SIM holder?

The Following User Says Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
sure, its 059L7Z9 16gb

The Following User Says Thank You to johnb543 For This Useful Post:
sure, its 059L7Z9 16gb
059L7Z9: N9 RM-696 PTK Centertel (Orange PL) PL (black) v1 16GB

Not sure whether this Torrent is still available or not:https://archive.org/details/NokiaN91...ngePlPlBlackV2

However if you go to Show All below Torrent 18 Original files link still downloads as NokiaN916gbBlack-Rm-696-059l7z9-PtkCentertelorangePlPlBlackV2.zip.download with file size of 2.72GB albeit downloading @ 250 kb/s but completed satisfactorily 4 hours later!

Last edited by aspergerguy; 2020-03-09 at 13:30. Reason: Addition

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post: