Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Why on earth would MS lisence windows for free to any OEM? AFAIK they lisenced WP for Nokia for a set price, even as there was a kind of cashback-deal where MS paid marketing support fees to Nokia for using it.
Simply because sw bussiness has changed, there are androids, there are core linux and so on.

Microsoft have to start fight to get more manufactors using windows on embedded products and then later they may get payback in another ways.

But yes if nokia is smart they choose some Qt based OS. However Nokia has not choosed smart the latest years, so why would they change now? Because Elop era ends? I doubt...

If people are so stupid thinking that Elop was the only idiot at Nokia board, well then they are naive. We can only hope the new board is not to much "american sw is your best friend" but I have my doubts...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-27 at 18:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Simply because sw bussiness has changed, there are androids, there are core linux and so on.

Microsoft have to start fight to get more manufactors using windows on embedded products and then later they may get payback in another ways.
Now this depends on what kind of embedded are we talking about.
Currently MS has some kind of foothold only on devices that need to provide some MS-compatible service, like some NAS boxes. (and even more of them work with other OSes than windows)

But yes if nokia is smart they choose some Qt based OS. However Nokia has not choosed smart the latest years, so why would they change now? Because Elop era ends? I doubt...

If people are so stupid thinking that Elop was the only idiot at Nokia board, well then they are naive. We can only hope the new board is not to much "american sw is your best friend" but I have my doubts...

QT based OS only makes sense if you have a graphical UI... currently there are quite a lot of Nokia products that do not fall into this category

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now this depends on what kind of embedded are we talking about.
Currently MS has some kind of foothold only on devices that need to provide some MS-compatible service, like some NAS boxes. (and even more of them work with other OSes than windows)

QT based OS only makes sense if you have a graphical UI... currently there are quite a lot of Nokia products that do not fall into this category
I am talking bout car media product etc. because I heard something bout thats what Nokia new strategy will going that includes Navteq ofcourse.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I am talking bout car media product etc. because I heard something bout thats what Nokia new strategy will going that includes Navteq ofcourse.
I was talking about NE's and other industrial equipment, not consumer products

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, nokia