Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Full instructions for downloading and installing A2DP software can be found here. The instructions listed here offer a simplified and largely automated installation methodology that should work every time.

Jump to step 5 if you have xterm and wget installed, root access and have already paired your Bluetooth headset.

Pre-requisites to be satisfied before installing A2DP

0. Have an N800

Which must be running OS 2007 (3.2007.10-7 or later).

OS 2006 on 770 and OS 2007HE on 770 are not supported by these instructions.

1. xterm must be installed
2. "Becomeroot" package must be installed or device in R&D mode
  • Install the Becomeroot package by adding the following repository to application manager:
    Web Address: http://eko.one.pl/maemo
    Distribution: bora
    Components: user
  • Alternatively see the maemo.org wiki for details on how to enable R&D mode.

3. wget installed for downloading web-based files from the command line
  • Open xterm and execute the following commands in xterm (you must have satisfied pre-requisite #2 before continuing):
    Code:
    sudo gainroot
    apt-get install wget
    exit

4. Pair your Bluetooth headset with your N800
  • Pairing instructions will vary from device to device. A pairing code of 0000 will typically allow the headset to pair automatically once set into pairing mode.

Once all of the above pre-requisites are satisfied continue at step 5.

Installing the A2DP software

5. Download and execute the A2DP software installation scripts
  • The following commands will create a temporary working directory, download two shell scripts using wget then execute those two scripts in turn.
As user "user"
  • The first script, btscan.sh, will attempt to identify the Bluetooth address for the Bluetooth headset paired with your N800.
  • Execute the second script, install.sh, and pass the address of your Bluetooth headset (identified after running the first script, including colons) as a parameter. This step will download the A2DP software packages and generate configuration scripts specific to your Bluetooth headset.

Code:
    mkdir ~/a2dp
    cd ~/a2dp
    wget http://www.nmacleod.com/a2dp/btscan.sh
    wget http://www.nmacleod.com/a2dp/install.sh
    chmod +x btscan.sh install.sh
    ./btscan.sh
    ./install.sh 00:11:22:33:44:55
    where 00:11:22:33:44:55 must be replaced by YOUR Bluetooth Headset address as identified by btscan.sh.
As user "root"
  • Switch to the root superuser and again execute the second script install.sh. This step will install the A2DP packages and finalise the configuration. Reboot.

Code:
    sudo gainroot
    ./install.sh
    reboot
  • Optionally remove the temporary directory ~/a2dp with the following command as the directory and it's contents are no longer required:
    Code:
    rm -fr ~/a2dp
  • Enjoy A2DP audio when using the Kagu audio player.

EDIT:

18 August 2007: Updated install.sh script to support repository based installation of the latest mplayer (currently 1.0rc1-maemo.18.n800)

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-09-24 at 00:11.

my god this is fantastic! why the heck isn't this part of the OS? Seriously, now I can use my Moto HT820 bluetooth A2DP headphones.

Now if only someone can get skype to be able to do the exact same thing, I'ld be set.

A million thanks Millhouse for this easy how to. Even a non unix guy like me was able to follow them.

cheers

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by gigabites View Post
my god this is fantastic! why the heck isn't this part of the OS? Seriously, now I can use my Moto HT820 bluetooth A2DP headphones.

Now if only someone can get skype to be able to do the exact same thing, I'ld be set.

A million thanks Millhouse for this easy how to. Even a non unix guy like me was able to follow them.

cheers
Because its so resource-intensive that the CPU is at full use, which sucks down battery life like a 10 year old Thai hooker. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for official support.

yeh i can see from kagu's responsiveness drops when i use this feature.

But for something like skype to use a regular bluetooth headset profile like for the moto HS850 can't be that cpu intensive? My 3 yr old Nokia 6230b cell handles it with no problems.

I just hate the oem headset and really *HATE* the fact that it's wired.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by gigabites View Post
yeh i can see from kagu's responsiveness drops when i use this feature.

But for something like skype to use a regular bluetooth headset profile like for the moto HS850 can't be that cpu intensive? My 3 yr old Nokia 6230b cell handles it with no problems.

I just hate the oem headset and really *HATE* the fact that it's wired.
I'm not exactly familiar with the workaround that is being used here, but it would be the same for pretty much any application that uses it at this point as far as I can see. It's basically just one big hack right now which is why the CPU use is so high. Also, forget about Skype using this - it's closed source. We'll have to wait for Nokia to do it and once they do, we shouldn't see anywhere near the same CPU use problems... IF they do it at all, that is.

Cheers Millhouse

Just bought me a pair of A2DP headphones from the Orange store at Bluewater.

In their bargain bin you'll find the iTech BlueBAND Bluetooth stereo headset. The same box also contains the iTech BlueCON35 - a small 3.5mm analogue audio jack --> Bluetooth dongle that'll transmit any analogue stereo audio over Bluetooth A2DP.

Why am I saying this? Box says "Was £39.99 now £29.99" it scanned in at £14.99 quality is not bad at all! (Actually - pretty great!)

Thanks Milhouse! It's a great posting!

Till Nokia builds it into the n800 native, this will do great!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Please please please can anybody confirm wheter the nokia bh 601 headset will work with the ad2p in the nokia n800. I want to buy it and it will be a waste of money if it doesnt work afyer ibuy it. Please guys help

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Please please please can anybody confirm wheter the nokia bh 601 headset will work with the ad2p in the nokia n800. I want to buy it and it will be a waste of money if it doesnt work afyer ibuy it. Please guys help
As long as it supports A2DP, it should work without any problems once you follow Milhouse's excellent installation guide.

I have used Kagu with three different BT devices, none of them Nokia-branded, and they all work perfectly. One Sony, one Logitech, one Anycom.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I got this error message..... "Couldn't find package wget"

what to do?? please help. I got my new nokia bh headset just today and i am excited to connect it .... some one please help.

Thanks