Hey folks,
havent found anything about my issue in the forums yet soo maybe you can help...?
I got the problem, that my microphone stops working during calls when I switch to the loudspeaker. It simply stopped working a few days ago. The microphone works well though when Im phoning normally holding the phone at my ear. Any ideas how I could fix this? Thanks in advance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foredoomed For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
There are separate microphones in N9 for normal (earpiece) mode and for loudspeaker mode, so that is explaining why the mic is working in one mode, but not in the other.

The normal mic is located behind the bottom grill of the loudspeaker. The mic used in the loudspeaker mode is located next to the camera flash.

So if the the mic is not working at all in loudspeaker mode calls, the secondary mic can really be broken. Of course, some mess-up with the SW can still possibly explain the problems.

Have you applied any (audio) tweaks for your N9? Just pondering if something could have messed-up some audio setting files etc...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kallela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
The second microphone next to the camera is for noise-cancellation which doesn't work when you use the loudspeaker or headset.

The mic used for calls is the one located at the bottom. N9's speaker and mic are weaker in general as compared to Nokia N8's for example, so maybe the receiver can't hear you properly if you hold the phone a bit far away.

However, if it completely "stopped" working, it could be a hardware or software issue. Maybe you can do a reflash and try again before pointing it to a hardware issue.

Edit: some research shows that a possible reason for the mic to stop working can be due to debris that might have been collected in the mics. So if you blow some compressed air in the two mics, it might work again. Try not to clean it by poking things inside.. then it'll definitely be a hardware issue.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Last edited by flopjoke; 2012-11-13 at 17:07. Reason: correction

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
The second microphone next to the camera is for noise-cancellation which doesn't work when you use the loudspeaker or headset.
That is only partially correct. The secondary microphone is really used for noise cancellation in normal (earpiece) mode. However, the noise cancellation is also used (if enabled) in loudspeaker mode. In that made, the roles of the microphones are actually reversed, so the primary mic at the bottom is then used for noise cancellation and the secondary mic is capturing the speak.

Originally Posted by flopjoke View Post
N9's speaker and mic are weaker in general as compared to Nokia N8's for example, so maybe the receiver can't hear you properly if you hold the phone a bit far away.
It is true that the loudspeaker call performance of N9 is fairly weak in both directions. The reversing of the microphones, explained above, makes it even worse. I guess in many cases when a loudspeaker call is needed, the phone is put down on a table, the display heading upwards. Now when the secondary microphone, next to the camera flash, is used for capturing the speak, it is actually facing the table! Obviously that is greatly attenuating the audio. So in conclusion, turning the phone upside-down on a table will help with loudspeaker calls!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kallela For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your help, but im a bit confused now. Calling in earpiece or loudspeaker mode does use the bottom mic like flopjoke wrote and the back is for noise cancellation only?

Wikipedia says so too: "The N9 has two microphones and a loudspeaker situated at the bottom of the phone. The main microphone enables conversation and recording. The second microphone is located on the back of the device near the flash LEDs and main camera, it is used by MeeGo system for noise cancellation which make phone conversations clearer in noisy environment."

But then again, it cannot be an hardware issue, since it works flawlessly calling in earpiece and stops working completely in loudspeaker mode, am I right?

The Following User Says Thank You to foredoomed For This Useful Post:
Seen your post too late Kallela, so it's probably a hardware issue! Guess Ill have to send it to Nokia Care Center, thank you..

The Following User Says Thank You to foredoomed For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by foredoomed View Post
Seen your post too late Kallela, so it's probably a hardware issue! Guess Ill have to send it to Nokia Care Center, thank you..
Yes, exactly! The switching of the microphones between earpiece and loudspeaker modes explains why your voice is captured only in earpiece mode calls. The secondary mic unit is possibly broken, so it prevents voice capturing altogether in loudspeaker mode, but only affects noise cancellation in earpiece mode, which is probably not so easy to notice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kallela For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
Originally Posted by Kallela View Post
However, the noise cancellation is also used (if enabled) in loudspeaker mode. In that made, the roles of the microphones are actually reversed, so the primary mic at the bottom is then used for noise cancellation and the secondary mic is capturing the speak.
@Kallela

Check page 51 and 52 of N9's user guide: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/g...a_N9_UG_en.pdf

The noise-cancellation is ONLY for normal mode. Like I said before, it doesn't work if you are on loudspeaker or if you put the headset on.

However, YOU are partially correct; the mics itself are reversed. While on a normal call, the primary bottom mic is used and while on the loudspeaker, the secondary back mic is used. But noise-cancellation only works on normal mode.

@foredoomed

Most people with this problem reported it to be solved if they just used compressed air to clean the debris in the mics. Nokia care probably won't do anything with an N9 and it would be a waste of money to try. Since you said the problem occurred a few days ago and wasn't there since the day you bought it, it's either a software issue (something messed up the audio drivers in the second mic) or a hardware issue (maybe you bumped your N9's back real hard or it fell down or something).

Like I said, first try reflashing it and see if the problem disappears. Then try cleaning the dust inside. If neither of this work, Nokia care would be the last step.

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Last edited by flopjoke; 2012-11-14 at 19:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to flopjoke For This Useful Post:
Hey folks,
havent found anything about my issue in the forums yet soo maybe you can help...?
I got the problem, that my microphone stops working during calls when I switch to the loudspeaker. It simply stopped working a few days ago. The microphone works well though when Im phoning normally holding the phone at my ear. Any ideas how I could fix this? Thanks in advance.
i have the same problum ....

The Following User Says Thank You to dheerajverma143 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Awww! I've got the same problem too. Just noticed it 2 days back. And I can't get the phone serviced here But I guess I can (have to) live with it, if it is a hardware issue

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2013-07-09 at 14:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n9