Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Aha! Yes!
Thanks! Speaking of illumination - What are the odds on user changeable LED's? RGB! I'd like nice bright greeeeeeen LED's under the KB...

I'm sure this will go nowhere.. But anyhow! Thanks!

I wonder if it's possible to change the LED!

Last edited by kingoddball; 2013-12-04 at 22:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Aha! Yes!
Thanks! Speaking of illumination - What are the odds on user changeable LED's? RGB! I'd like nice bright greeeeeeen LED's under the KB...

I'm sure this will go nowhere.. But anyhow! Thanks!

I wonder if it's possible to change the LED!
Of course it's possible and as simple as it possibly gets to change the LEDs.
But maybe - just maybe - we can do a special build for you, swapping the white LEDs for green ones. You know we build to custom.

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-04 at 23:31.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Maaaaate! Seems like we could be friends!

Thanks! (and I probably will take you up on that offer!)

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Then what about nice fancy multi-coloured keyboards?
I think I have seen such thing once upon a time ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Double rainbow keyboard!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
we only got 6 outputs on our LED controller, to control 6 kbd LEDs. And we can't really connect 3 of those LEDs in parallel or in series, doesn't work electrically. So, sorry, but that would mean severe additional cost on BOM and layout, and I doubt you want to pay for that.

[edit, answering next post] almost anticipated I've been too fuzzy: a RGB LED is basically 3 LEDs in one case, with 4 instead of 2 pins. We got:
a) SIX KBD-LEDs (all needed for light distribution)
b) SIX LED-controller outputs
6 RGB-LEDs would need 18 controller outputs which we don't have, we'd need TWO additional LP5523 to do this.
And then we have the problem of the RGB LEDs themselves: formfactor of those KBD-LEDs is 0402 (afaik), and we need to mount them sideways (to emit light direction kbd), which you can do with a two-pin 0402 but for sure not with a 4-pin (I guess there's no such thing like 4-pin 0402 at all), unless the RGB-LED component is made to shine sideways by default - and isn't larger than 0402 or whatever the current size of KBD-LED. So nope, we probably CANNOT do this.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-04 at 23:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
So, at the cost of not being able to control all 6 LEDs independently, it is possible to use RGB LEDs.

Daughter Boards/Breakout Boards:
Are you willing to make a simple breakout board to sell?

What I am thinking:

Ribbon cable to slide to under the battery to the expansion pins (Other Half type connection you mentioned), connect to a board which can sit on top of the battery with an ATMEGA chip with blank pin-out (through holes from ATMEGA) that we can solder whatever want onto?
Will need TTL serial.

Seems easy? Maybe?

I'm happy to design a 3D printable case to accommodate for the daughter board - Happy to print for people too!

I would like to control some hardware via the Neo900 - Will be fun and this seems like a cheaper and easier option than annoy you/devs about adding random chips.

I'd love some hardware expandability via an AT using the expansion port - Doesn't seem hard, considering how much work you have put into the Neo900 board - This is childs play for you guys!

Make us geeks happy! (happier??)

Edit: Not that I am ungreatful for the Neo900 - I just think having a never ending hardware addon board!! YEAH!!
I would like to add some 433Mhz componets and control my light switches/power points.

Edit: A similar hardware combination already exists which I use regularly - NinjaBlock.
A8 Chip with an Arduino on top.

http://ninjablocks.com/collections/a...aglebone-black

I really think the idea/add-on would be GREAT!
Infinite expansion

Last edited by kingoddball; 2013-12-05 at 04:23.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Daughter Boards/Breakout Boards:
Are you willing to make a simple breakout board to sell?

What I am thinking:

Ribbon cable to slide to under the battery to the expansion pins (Other Half type connection you mentioned), ...
I already planned to do something similar to this FPC (aka "ribbon cable") eventually. It didn't occur to me to put a chip (ATmega) on it. Sounds like a nice idea, yes.

Thanks!
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-05 at 04:41.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
domesheets must be sourced as if once removed it can be perfectly reused but some air leaks or less sticky regions will be there and in the long run poses problems in keypresses mostly due to a layer of something formed by oxydation or sometimes slight misplacements change the keypress feel diffrent for others .
Keyboard domesheet is far from air-tight, and there is already quite a much air between bendable metal plates (used to "press" key) and contact pads on motherboard. This doesn't sounds like valid concern for me. I also think, that people afraid to disassembly N900 wouldn't be purchasing board-only, aiming at fully assembled unit, instead (which means sourcing domesheets by Neo900 folks, anyway).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!