Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Coming to shape slowly stedily

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Personally, reading his reaction to some of the rude/aggressive posts, I could understand why he reacted that way,
I get it as well... I've been trolled into a post or two myself, as everyone knows. The problem is, doing so does not make a very good first impression. Especially when there's misunderstanding on both sides about what's going on. I'm not faulting Jim for that (too much), as we're all human.

What needs to happen now is simple. A quick catch-up for everyone on where we're at and what's going on. Then a setup for elections to validate that the current Directors (and/or new nominees) are acting in the interest of the community.

It would seem Jim would be in agreement on this, since it would answer his question as to the communities feeling on having him on board. (Jim, please do comment on this. I would like your perspective on it.)

It also would give Jim over a month to get up to speed, and to present himself to the community so we/they can get to know him better. I think, given that chance, the community will have a better chance at assessing the skills and experience Jim has to offer to the Foundation, vs the "gut reaction" that's been expressed here.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Anyway, good that we're now moving towards an election
I agree. At this point, I think it's prudent to call elections. I will propose this at the next Board meeting, which must happen very soon.

FWIW:
I don't think elections will interfere with the Nokia negotiations, as the election process won't finish (and no potential Director changes would happen) until mid to late April. By then all negotiations should be finalized and HiFo should have ownership of everything needed to maintain the infrastructure.

I would suggest that we push the election out (to a maximum of 45 days, per the bylaws) to allow the Council and Board elections to coincide. I feel this would be the best solution for the community as a whole, vs having segmented or offset elections close to each other.

I believe this is something we must legally do as well. Since Tim's resignation occurred before my acceptance, and my acceptance was not done until past the 7 day period from Ivan's formal resignation. Technically, there was a period with fewer than three Director positions occupied for over seven days. That should trigger an election.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Brilliant communicator, as always...

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
presuming you are referring to stenny's post?
maybe you know the figure for real, but personally the post strikes me as very similar though somewhat less desperate as those of the last Council member that the community had to quick out of function, not even a year ago
I have not and will not ever take part in either council. I only started paying attention to the hildon foundation when my n900 stopped updating. All I want to see is the lights stay on. I'm not convinced it's going to happen, but I'm hopeful.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by stenny View Post
I have not and will not ever take part in either council. I only started paying attention to the hildon foundation when my n900 stopped updating. All I want to see is the lights stay on. I'm not convinced it's going to happen, but I'm hopeful.
So you are among those who stand by and do nothing but just expect that everything will work out anyway?

Originally Posted by setter View Post
So you are among those who stand by and do nothing but just expect that everything will work out anyway?
No, I'm going to stand by and do nothing. I have no expectations.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Okey stenny, then I will put you on the red list

IMO, the will of the community must always hold sway, so I am +1 on calling for an election.

I will also state that it might be better, easier and more "logical" for the community to consider creating a sort of Board Advisor position for HiFo, and saving the actual director positions for those who have already shown their merit in the community.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
What needs to happen now is simple. A quick catch-up for everyone on where we're at and what's going on. Then a setup for elections to validate that the current Directors (and/or new nominees) are acting in the interest of the community.

It would seem Jim would be in agreement on this, since it would answer his question as to the communities feeling on having him on board. (Jim, please do comment on this. I would like your perspective on it.)

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jimjag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
At this point, I think it's prudent to call elections. I will propose this at the next Board meeting, which must happen very soon.

I would suggest that we push the election out (to a maximum of 45 days, per the bylaws) to allow the Council and Board elections to coincide. I feel this would be the best solution for the community as a whole, vs having segmented or offset elections close to each other.

I believe this is something we must legally do as well. Since Tim's resignation occurred before my acceptance, and my acceptance was not done until past the 7 day period from Ivan's formal resignation. Technically, there was a period with fewer than three Director positions occupied for over seven days. That should trigger an election.
Ivan resigned on Tuesday, February 26 and Tim resigned on Monday, March 4. Their letters are on the website.

Woody and Jim were appointed on Monday, March 4. http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...51&postcount=5 Even if one assumes (mistakenly I think) that Woody's acceptance was necessary, that was done no later than Tuesday, March 5. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...87#post1327087

So election was not triggered under the ByLaws. It should not be surprising I conclude this as that is why I expedited the appointments as a Director.

I say the following in my capacity as Secretary for the Foundation consistent with the Board Register required under the current bylaws. If you want to proceed with an election, I suggest that your proposal includes an appropriate amendment to the ByLaws. I will consider further comments if anyone thinks an election was triggered. Since maemo.org will be going down temporarily, if anyone has comments, please email them to board@hildonfoundation.org. The submitted comments will be attempted to be made public in some fashion.

(Jim, I need the official address you want to use for the Foundation) to record in the Board Register).

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I think either we take date of written resign-letter and date of written acceptance-letter, which then would be Date: 2013-02-26 11:42 for Ivan finally resigning (his non-written resignation been several days before) and Date: 2013-03-09 01:55 woody's written acceptance

Or we assume there's a formal meeting with voice recorder and whatnot needed to install new BoD into their position.

Or we accept informal notice, then that's also >7 days between Ivan's first notice and Woody's first notice or even Rob's first post stating he's going to appoint Woody and Jim (sorry, can't just pick the relevant dates out of my mail threads, I'm sure you'll be able to confirm with your copy of related mails/posts)

Either way if we don't apply different rules for similr processes, we always have >7 days of HiFo with less than 3

cheers
jOERG

[edit] on a sidenote: tmo will _not_ go down, see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...97#post1328897

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-03-14 at 16:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
comic, marixian, no more popcorn