Closed Thread
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by dj_steve View Post
yes im aware it can boot from micro sd but how do i get it to (what root= should i pass to kernel - i dont want it to boot from initfs
I havent fiddled a lot with bootloaders, but you would have to install a bootloader and have an entry that points to the vmlinuz on the sd card.

A bootloader you can at least find in quole's repository, and most if not all load straight into maemo if your keyboard is not out, and if you have your keyboard out you can select between the OS's you have made bootloader entries for.

The reason I have not fiddled with bootloaders is that on computers they usually just configure them self, but this will not be the case in this scenario.

EDIT:
To answer your question more correctly, but im not entirely sure, it would be something like root = "/sd2/boot/vmlinuz" or something like that...

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-05-08 at 12:56.

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
lol got roung that issue direct boot to microsd - done,

editing the nitdroid.com page with my findings so far momentarily

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
lol got roung that issue direct boot to microsd - done,

editing the nitdroid.com page with my findings so far momentarily
Did you look at the patch file I posted before for the touchscreen patches? look for tsc2005.ko in the patch file for the changes.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

which patch file ? only one i saw was the n900_kernel ?

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
which patch file ? only one i saw was the n900_kernel ?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...126#post571126

The patch file is attached on this post

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Allo!

The wifi works, its pretty cool though a bit slow..

I hope you'll continue to work on it for N810 as it really needs a new and usable distro

hmm ill have a better read of that later, though i have applied that patch

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 75 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Malta
i don't really understand all this kernel stuff and all but this all looks interesting. From what I gathered android is booted uo from microSD right?
Is it possible that it can be booted from the internal storage/harddrive/emmc/whatever-i-really-don't-know? Would it be faster to load than from microSD? Just curious and keep up the awesome work

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Originally Posted by fieryriver View Post
i don't really understand all this kernel stuff and all but this all looks interesting. From what I gathered android is booted uo from microSD right?
Is it possible that it can be booted from the internal storage/harddrive/emmc/whatever-i-really-don't-know? Would it be faster to load than from microSD? Just curious and keep up the awesome work
Theoretically, yes it could be faster. But the change would be really little, and you might just see some difference in the boot or something that would take a lot of time anyway.

Point being, there is no point in installing it on the internal storage rather than SD card for speed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Hi,

just tried to install nitdroid on my n800!
The links of the newest nitdroid version (Post 1) doesn't work - they break up after a few MBytes! So I installed the second newest Version: 0.5)

I got everything like in the how-to - but when I try to boot I get a error like: cannot execve ... mediaserver ... Permission denied (thats what I remember).
Any ideas?

EDIT:
I tried my other SD-Card and it worked just fine! (Isn't really fast at all, but the error didn't came up!)
This time I unchecked "become owner" when I created the partitions with Ubuntu 10.04 (system -> drive manager or something similar - I don't know the exact name, because I'm running a german version)! Maybe a "chown" had shown the same effect!

Last edited by dustXman; 2010-05-15 at 12:48.

Closed Thread

Tags
android, cool stuff, froyo on n900, nitdroid