Active Topics

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
A device as beautifully designed as the n9 deserves better than a iphone hand-me-down (not that I'm knocking your fine efforts). Why not design our own case and use a 3d printer to fabricate it?

Building my own 3d printer is my project for the summer, so I'm holding off doing this just yet, but I thought I'd put the idea out there.
Well it would be costly for one person to produce a few hundred units let alone a few thousand on a home built 3d printer

Also will require ALOT of effort on your part, and then we have to go about the circuit board and the programming of the device ect.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Has anyone but me played around with the GKOS keyboard? You can find the program in the Store -- once you get used to it, it is fun.

The documentation links to instructions for building GKOS hardware keyboards cheaply. I would love to have a functioning one for my N9 and would be happy to buy one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Well it would be costly for one person to produce a few hundred units let alone a few thousand on a home built 3d printer

Also will require ALOT of effort on your part, and then we have to go about the circuit board and the programming of the device ect.
Ah no I wasn't clear, we pick a good mini keyboard, and then design our own slide mechanism. The drawings can then be uploaded online for others to customize (if they want) and take to a local 3d printing outlet to manufacture.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2012-06-16 at 06:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
Ah no I wasn't clear, we pick a good mini keyboard, and then design our own slide mechanism. The drawings can then be uploaded online for others to customize (if they want) and take to a local 3d printing outlet to manufacture.
Ahh! Yeah that would be awesome!

I have just bought the NUU MiniKey as it seems to be the best one.

The BoxWave has so many iPhone functions on it taking up useless space wheras the NUU MiniKey is just a nice keyboard and only have one small cmd button for iPhone

It would be awesome if you could build a modified mechanism that might allow the camera to be used, even if we have to slide it up to use the camera, I wouldn't mind!

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
The minikey wont work from the looks of it, it doesnt have a removable device holder and its built too perfectly for the iPhone

I LIE! It should work, there's screws and stuff on the MiniKey Im tempted to just buy it and try!

EDIT: Went and bought one, will post pictures when finished and will let you know how it works! Don't have the hard case yet, so going to use the standard rubber one initially.
Great! Keep us in touch with the review and test please, I am really considering buying one to mod my N9. I also requested a Lumia/N9 version of the Boxwave keyboard on their website, and they replied that they are currently designing keyboards for new phone models. I'm gonna ask them if they have the N9 (or Lumia, most probably) on their list. Anyway, those keyboards are not too expensive, so it is worth trying keyboards designed for iPhone even if, by luck, there is any plan to build a Lumia keyboard someday.

Was your NUU Minikey delivered Godofwar424?

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Was your NUU Minikey delivered Godofwar424?
Yes it was!

After alot of stupidty from the Courier it was finally delivered, unfortunately been very busy as I have started training for a London Olympics job so not much time to post

BUT I do have very good news, the keyboard works excellently! Also I am in the process of creating a custom bracket for our N9's that can be directly screwed onto the NUU MiniKey!!

You can order it from this 3D Printing company atm

http://shpws.me/9rX3

I am going to look into Injection Moulding as well to see which finish would end up better

Spent all night measuring and creating the bracket for our N9's, hope you guys enjoy the early version, I will post back with more info on the Injection Moulding idea!

PS. This bracket will only work for the NUU MiniKey as it has been designed purely for it, using the stock baseplate for iPhone as a template. It may fit other keyboards but I can't guarantee that it will!

My Contributions

Last edited by godofwar424; 2012-06-24 at 21:42. Reason: Updated Link

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ stockton
this project is fascinating keep up the good work ill certainly be ordering one at some potint

Yes it was!

After alot of stupidty from the Courier it was finally delivered, unfortunately been very busy as I have started training for a London Olympics job so not much time to post

BUT I do have very good news, the keyboard works excellently! Also I am in the process of creating a custom bracket for our N9's that can be directly screwed onto the NUU MiniKey!!

You can order it from this 3D Printing company atm

http://www.shapeways.com/model/61228...d-n9-case.html

I am going to look into Injection Moulding as well to see which finish would end up better

Spent all night measuring and creating the bracket for our N9's, hope you guys enjoy the early version, I will post back with more info on the Injection Moulding idea!

PS. This bracket will only work for the NUU MiniKey as it has been designed purely for it, using the stock baseplate for iPhone as a template. It may fit other keyboards but I can't guarantee that it will!
Excellent news! I did not think you were that much involved, and it's great to see that you have an actual project for the housing. Unfortunately the link does not work at the moment, but I'll check it later.

The NUU Minikey also exist in AZERTY, so I might give it a try soon, and report if compatibility is as good as with your QWERTY unit. Characters with accents could mess up. I won't order it now though, still trying to figure out how thick the N9 would be with it. I just picked my old N900 with me two days ago, and I found it suprisingly small compared to the N9. I mean, despite being thicker, it feeled more compact and I was actually surprised that the N9 changed my opinion about the N900 "bulkiness". So adding a keyboard to the N9 could make it a really difficult-to-carry-brick, or even create a time paradox, especially because it would also be thicker than the N900 with the NUU Minikey.

Buuuut. I think I'll purchase one anyway.

P.S.
By the way, could you please post some pictures of the N9 alongside the keyboard, or with one device onto the other (from above to compare their size, and from the side to compare thickness)?

P.P.S.
How fast is the connexion between the phone and the keyboard when you slide the keyboard out (I guess the bluetooth of the keyboard only turns on when you slide it out?)? Do you have to wait for several seconds, or is it unnoticeable?

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-06-24 at 00:01.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Excellent news! I did not think you were that much involved, and it's great to see that you have an actual project for the housing. Unfortunately the link does not work at the moment, but I'll check it later.

The NUU Minikey also exist in AZERTY, so I might give it a try soon, and report if compatibility is as good as with your QWERTY unit. Characters with accents could mess up. I won't order it now though, still trying to figure out how thick the N9 would be with it. I just picked my old N900 with me two days ago, and I found it suprisingly small compared to the N9. I mean, despite being thicker, it feeled more compact and I was actually surprised that the N9 changed my opinion about the N900 "bulkiness". So adding a keyboard to the N9 could make it a really difficult-to-carry-brick, or even create a time paradox, especially because it would also be thicker than the N900 with the NUU Minikey.

Buuuut. I think I'll purchase one anyway.

P.S.
By the way, could you please post some pictures of the N9 alongside the keyboard, or with one device onto the other (from above to compare their size, and from the side to compare thickness)?

P.P.S.
How fast is the connexion between the phone and the keyboard when you slide the keyboard out (I guess the bluetooth of the keyboard only turns on when you slide it out?)? Do you have to wait for several seconds, or is it unnoticeable?
Hmm that's strange the link should work, it works for me, can anybody else test the link to check if it works?

TBH the NUU MiniKey is incredibly slim! It will only add 5mm to the N9's thickness of 12.1mm, meaning a total thickness of 17.1mm.

Whereas the N900 had around 18mm thickness. So its just less then the N900 but much more beautiful to look at

I don't have another camera atm but when I get my hands on one I will actually make a video of it and put it on youtube, working all week so most likely gonna be a little while.

As for the bluetooth, well some work needs to happen for that to be smooth, atm the N9 requires you to pair any bluetooth keyboard using BTInput if the connection is lost, BUT I am working on programming a ProfileMatic event that will involve an NFC Sticker and some clever commands which should make it more usable

I will work on it and when I get it all working smoothly will post instructions as well as links to get the NFC Sticker ect.

Just bear with me, and in the mean time you can purchase the bracket from ShapeWays

It is an early version, I will be thinking of maybe getting it created using injection moulded instead of 3D Printed, but that will have to be when I have more time, for now it is what it is, an early access way to use the N9 more efficiently for typing

My Contributions

Tags
nokia n955