Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by biggzy View Post
can a CPU guru answer me a question plz? what i want to know is what stresses a CPU more, running at max frequency or maxing the usage of the CPU to 100%? and whats the dif between frequency and usage? thanx v much to anyone that can answer
Those are obviously connected issues. You overlooked voltage, which is the real cause of the damage. The way the CPU works, it jumps to a higher voltage to make sure that the highest CPU setting is stable, and the setting for the highest voltage on the N900 is already "overclocked" in the sense that it is known to reduce operating life.

What should be discussed in this thread is how to reduce the operating voltages and run at the same (or maybe slightly higher) clocks. That would increase battery life and not adversely affect phone life.

Everything is connected, so running at full CPU speed for long periods of time, which will heat it up, will accelerate damage to it. How much and how fast it heats up obviously depends on the maximum speed you have set, and the voltage it operates at for that speed--and your particular CPU.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
a loot of pages to read for this information, so I'm asking here now. Where can I get fiasco-flasher? Not found in my N900

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Those are obviously connected issues. You overlooked voltage, which is the real cause of the damage. The way the CPU works, it jumps to a higher voltage to make sure that the highest CPU setting is stable, and the setting for the highest voltage on the N900 is already "overclocked" in the sense that it is known to reduce operating life.

What should be discussed in this thread is how to reduce the operating voltages and run at the same (or maybe slightly higher) clocks. That would increase battery life and not adversely affect phone life.

Everything is connected, so running at full CPU speed for long periods of time, which will heat it up, will accelerate damage to it. How much and how fast it heats up obviously depends on the maximum speed you have set, and the voltage it operates at for that speed--and your particular CPU.
Have you tried any OC action yet, or plan to?

BTW, lower volt kernels are already proven to work on the 3430 (Droid). There are three different types of volt-level kernels and different clock ranges, but most chose the low volt version.

SetCPU is also very nice, since can dynamically control clock profiles while charging, usb, low on battery, etc with custom or default settings

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-04-07 at 14:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Have you tried any OC action yet, or plan to?

BTW, lower volt kernels are already proven to work on the 3430 (Droid). There are three different types of kernels and different clock ranges, but most chose the low volt version.

SetCPU is also very nice, since can dynamically control clock profiles while charging, usb, low on battery, etc.
I can't afford to corrupt my fs or have my N900 out of commission right now. I was hoping to see more guinea pigs try out the undervolt route to get an idea what the typical outcome is on the N900, but even if not, after crunch time i will probably give an undervolt/700 MHz setup a try.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
You can try using my patch - http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n900/freqs.diff

It reduces the voltage for the frequencies 550 and 600 to OPP3 level (the one used for 500 in Nokia's kernel, and uses OPP4 level for 720-1000 (the same level as originally used for 550). Highest level (OPP5) which is used for 600 in Nokia's kernel, is not used at all in my patch. Of course, the result will be lower maximum frequency in some CPUs, but my is stable at 1000MHz even at this lower voltage.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Marseille , France
have you noticed a big difference between 700 , 750 and 800 ?

looking for best speed/heat

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You can try using my patch - http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n900/freqs.diff

It reduces the voltage for the frequencies 550 and 600 to OPP3 level (the one used for 500 in Nokia's kernel, and uses OPP4 level for 720-1000 (the same level as originally used for 550). Highest level (OPP5) which is used for 600 in Nokia's kernel, is not used at all in my patch. Of course, the result will be lower maximum frequency in some CPUs, but my is stable at 1000MHz even at this lower voltage.
Do you have any plans to package this as kernel image? I really like the idea of undervolting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todor_tsankov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
Everyone seems to be talking about running the phone at 100% all the time thus heating the cpu, i am using the 900mhz kernal but not playing ps1 games or any other cpu thirsty app.
I have noticed that my battery is better over a day and a half now and still half full and also the file manager and looking through all the 3000 photos i have is so smooth now, the screen rotation is also so smooth when rotating 360 degrees.
Also i keep checking the temperature and it stays around 22 degrees c. the same as with 600mhz.

Last edited by torres76; 2010-04-07 at 15:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to torres76 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
"vi" - File editor that is apart of almost every linux distribution,
among those is the one on the n900.
vi uses some odd keyboard shortcuts to get around, the advantage is that when you get used to it, it's far superior than notepad.

You need to edit a file called pmconfig, which is located in side /etc
to do that, go tp applications on your phone : (make sure you have rootsh installed 1st)
1. Start X Terminal
2. Type : sudo gainroot
2.5. Backup your file, "cp /etc/pmconfig /etc/pmconfig.old"
2.8. To restore : "cp /etc/pmconfig.old /etc/pmconfig"
3. Type : vi /etc/pmconfig - you can now move around with the arrow keys, but you cannot edit the text yet.
4. Locate the cursor where you want to insert text, press "i".
5. You are now in edit mode, be careful in what you are doing - you can type in new letter, and delete with backspace and delete, write in what you need, press ESC.
6. You are not out of edit mode, make sure you did what you needed to do, to save and exit the file you press : ":wq" (with the ":") and ENTER.

It's not "code" just bash commands, like you had batch commands in DOS.
Strange, I did exactly this, but the changes are not sticking, after reboot it reverts cpu speed back to 600 (from conky) even though when I check the pmconfig file it shows that the sample_max_freq is set to 750000, any ideas what would be the problem here ?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by ticktock666 View Post
Strange, I did exactly this, but the changes are not sticking, after reboot it reverts cpu speed back to 600 (from conky) even though when I check the pmconfig file it shows that the sample_max_freq is set to 750000, any ideas what would be the problem here ?
1st, That means you got the VI part correct. gz.
Now for the other part I cannot help you, as I am not using this OC method, I just used Lethos kernerls from the start of this Thread,
I flashed with my PC to 800MHz and thats all. I don't have that version you have

So cannot help you from here mate, maybe someone else can?
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom