Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Modem compatibility breakdown:
PLS8 http://m2m.gemalto.com/tl_files/cint...t_PLS8_web.pdf
For now it's unclear if there will be a non-economy global PLS8 version available, that merges the capabilities of the -E and -US variant.

recommended version for LTE in Europe and some other countries, supports EU-3G and EU-2G but limited roaming capabilities, not even GSM quadband, so no roaming to e.g. USA
> PLS8-E:
Quad Band LTE: 800/900/1800/2600 MHz, FDD-Band (20,8,3,7)
Tri Band UMTS (WCDMA): 900/1800/2100 MHz, FDD-Band (8,3,1)
Dual Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 900/1800 MHz
LTE: NOT COMPATIBLE
UMTS: NOT COMPATIBLE
2G: unclear if AT&T supports any GSM, anyway the PLS8-E does not support the usual US-GSM 850/1900 bands.
A few questions about the PLS8-E (LTE Europe), just to be sure I understand correctly:

- When it is said "Europe and some other countries", what does it mean exactly? Is "Europe" a shortcut summary with some exceptions, or does it really include all countries in the European Union? I wouldn't want to fall in one of the exceptions, if any.
- UMTS is triband, so would it work only in Europe or in other regions too?
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE is only dual band, so does it mean I can get 2G and "classic" phone communications just within Europe?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Anyone here know whether Neo900 has the right frequency bands for Optus here in Australia? And if so, which modem will do it?

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Jersey
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Anyone here know whether Neo900 has the right frequency bands for Optus here in Australia? And if so, which modem will do it?
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobile_phone_frequencies

Looks like you want the PLS8-E modem, same as most (all?) of Europe.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to l_bratch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
A few questions about the PLS8-E (LTE Europe), just to be sure I understand correctly:

- When it is said "Europe and some other countries", what does it mean exactly? Is "Europe" a shortcut summary with some exceptions, or does it really include all countries in the European Union? I wouldn't want to fall in one of the exceptions, if any.
- UMTS is triband, so would it work only in Europe or in other regions too?
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE is only dual band, so does it mean I can get 2G and "classic" phone communications just within Europe?
please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
and
http://neo900.org/faq#networks (NOTE! the PLS8-X seems to not support voice! )
and try to find decent info about your carriers you want to use.
Always try to use "band" metrics, "frequency" is ambiguous!

I or Neo900 group or even Cinterion/Gemalto can not give any other binding info than the one already available. Sorry

/j

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Some further thoughts on modem selection...

As of current knowledge we can have either good roaming via GSM, or LTE.

What do you think, how long will the GSM networks still be operational?

If they shut them off lets say within the next five years then there is not that much benefit from the better roaming capabilities of the PHS8-P/J/K. OK one could still use the UMTS frequencies, but would loose much of the roaming functionallity and have 4 useless bands, the modem supports.

If they are operational for lets say 15+ years then the roaming advantage is something to take into account.

Still hoping for a firmware for the PLS8-E with additional roaming capabilities like the US variant has. This would make things so much easier

Mith

The Following User Says Thank You to mithrandir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
As of current knowledge we can have either good roaming via GSM, or LTE.
That's incorrect, the PHS8 is made for international UMTS, not GSM. GSM is just the 2nd (ancient) level of fallback when UMTS service/network-coverage is not available on any of the bands the PHS8 supports.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
(NOTE! the PLS8-X seems to not support voice! )

/j
Not supporting voice? Sorry, stupid clarification need:
Does that mean no classical phonecalls?

I want to convert my voucher in pre-order but this is the only blocking step for me: the modem.
All these bands and standards are confusing me. Really. Since weeks.
It is taking me hours to try to compute all these infos and when read, they all are mixed im my mind.

Is there no simple trick to find the one for france for lambda use: phonecalls + internet?

edit: hmm, does that PLS8-X mean PLS8-"any" or PLS8-US[/X]?

Last edited by ric9K; 2015-06-01 at 14:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
Not supporting voice? Sorry, stupid clarification need:
Does that mean no classical phonecalls?

I want to convert my voucher in pre-order but this is the only blocking step for me: the modem.
All these bands and standards are confusing me. Really. Since weeks.
It is taking me hours to try to compute all these infos and when read, they all are mixed im my mind.

Is there no simple trick to find the one for france for lambda use: phonecalls + internet?

edit: hmm, does that PLS8-X mean PLS8-"any" or PLS8-US[/X]?
This refers to the PLS8-X variant of PLS8-US which came up recently. Please simply ignore it, I just found no time yet to delete the [/X] from our table of options. The PLS8-US is OK for phone calls.

For France the "simple trick" is:
Do you want LTE (optimized for high bandwidth computing, enabling speeds up to 100 Mbps for downlink and 50 Mbps for uplink) which only works in Europe and even there only on UMTS in some rural areas,
or do you want UMTS-global (optimized for high bandwidth and allows speeds up to 14.4 Mbps for downlink and 5.7 Mbps for uplink) which works pretty much everywhere on this globe?
According to your preferences you pick either PLS8-E (Europe LTE) or PHS8 (UMTS).

Also note that LTE version costs probably a 20 to 50 bucks more than the UMTS version.
We also offer PXS8 for those (US) residents who want to have access to CDMA2000 as well, for Europeans it's quite irrelevant I guess.

Cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-06-01 at 19:07. Reason: fixed bandwidth ratings

This refers to the -X variant which came up recently. Please simply ignore it, I just found no time yet to delete the [-X] from our table of options. The PLS8-US is OK for phone calls.

For France the "simple trick" is:
Do you want LTE (100Mbit/s) which only works in Europe and even there only on UMTS in some rural areas,
or do you want UMTS-global (up to iirc 42Mbits/s) which works pretty much everywhere on this globe?
According to your preferences you pick either PLS8-E (Europe LTE) or PHS8 (UMTS).

Also note that LTE version costs probably a 20 to 50 bucks more than the UMTS version.
We also offer PXS8 for those (US) residents who want to have access to CDMA2000 as well, for Europeans it's quite irrelevant I guess.

Cheers
jOERG
OK, cool, finally simple!
Thank you Joerg.

And if I understand right this table (post 22), the PLS8-E can not use UMTS if LTE is not available, am I right?

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
OK, cool, finally simple!
Thank you Joerg.

And if I understand right this table (post 22), the PLS8-E can not use UMTS if LTE is not available, am I right?
In addition to LTE the PLS8-E can do
UMTS
900 MHz (Bd8)
1800 MHz (Bd3)
2100 MHz (Bd1)
which seems OK for France from all I can see in the tables provided in post22 (except the attachment)
Please also refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...etworks#Europe which states that all 4 French services do UMTS on bands 8 & 1, PLS8 can do both of them.
So PLS8 can do full UMTS too, in France

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-06-01 at 15:48.

Tags
cellular, neo900