Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I believe that meego.com is supposed to be for MeeGo *development* only. They believe that device support should be separate from the forums there. From what I understood, if you have questions about how to use a particular api in the app you are developing, it's the right place. If you have questions about using an app or bug reports, etc (other than perhaps for core apps), wrong place. I don't think that there will be a N9 section in the forum.
This is more or less correct.

Plus, the N9 will be based on MeeGo OS but Nokia will add a differentiating UI - sort of how different phone manufacturers put their own unique UI on top of Android. Depending on how maemo-like the N9's UI is, then maemo.org might be a good place to find people interested in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
All i'm saying is change Meego.com to encourage this community feel. Change happens, but there are good ways to transition between the two OS's.
To my best knowlege meego.com is the official site, not the community site. The community site is: meego.org

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
To my best knowlege meego.com is the official site, not the community site. The community site is: meego.org
The MeeGo Forums link at meego.org points to meego.com. That is not encouraging.

Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
When the N9 comes out with Meego on board
It won't. Whether it will come out at all is still an open question, but if it does it will come with Harmattan, which is really Maemo 6 with the serial numbers filed off.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I'm going to point the council to this thread, as the long term future of the community here is definitely something we have to think about, and people's opinions are very important.

I think it's safe to say that maemo.org will be around for a while yet, and we have a dedicated forum for meego-harmattan, which is what the n9 will be running (it's a little less meego than pure meego, as I understand it). There is certainly no plan to push everyone over to meego.com in anything like the near future.

I'm also interested in people's feelings about meego.com. I certainly agree about the accessibility of the forums (already *****in' about that) and at the moment the feel of the place is very dev/pro orientated. A bunch of people having a meego device to work on is slowly starting to change that, but it's slow. It's also not intended to have dedicated forums for devices or even vendors, so a specific forum for the n9 wouldn't be there. Providing that might well be the furture for this place.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I don't think that either the 770, or the N8X0, or the N900 would have been the great success among geeks that they are without *this* - exactly *this* - community, which attracted very peculiar people: sometimes childish, sometimes Asperger-ish, even antisocial at times (I have fond memories of some threads some years ago ) but always exceptionally talented.
Devs, enthusiasts, bloggers, power users, power lusers and bears - self-selected for the interest in fiddling and hacking some non-mainstream gizmos - have made it a very creative place, and where you get both fun and good ideas to empower yourself in your use of pocketable computers.
I - for me - I am going to stay here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I'm going to point the council to this thread, as the long term future of the community here is definitely something we have to think about, and people's opinions are very important.
Indeed, but there's a lot of navel-gazing going on when:
  • We don't know when the N9 will be released, apart from "2011".
  • We don't know how Maemo-ish it'll feel under the covers.
  • All the apps which feel like MeeGo apps will be written in MTF or QML.
  • We don't know how many people who use maemo.org will buy an N9.

Is it worth saying "I'm still going to be here?" Given people could be hit by a bus, you never know what's going to happen in the future - without hypothesizing about what'll happen when an unreleased, unannounced and largely unknown device is released.

I think it's safe to say that maemo.org will be around for a while yet, and we have a dedicated forum for meego-harmattan,
Isn't it MeeGo-Harmattan HE? ICBW.

There is certainly no plan to push everyone over to meego.com in anything like the near future.
Nor ever, I'd say. I increasingly think that the level of overlap between the technology and applications will be so minimal that moving maemo.org to meego.com would never make sense.

However, things like the MeeGo Community OBS are providing benefit to maemo.org (and Harmattan) by replacing the maemo.org auto builder.

I'm also interested in people's feelings about meego.com. I certainly agree about the accessibility of the forums (already *****in' about that) and at the moment the feel of the place is very dev/pro orientated. A bunch of people having a meego device to work on is slowly starting to change that, but it's slow.
It'll change overnight once the N9 is announced, and again when it goes on sale. meego.com is in exactly the same situation as maemo.org and ITT in (say) October 2005, a month or two before an actual device went on sale.

It's also not intended to have dedicated forums for devices or even vendors, so a specific forum for the n9 wouldn't be there. Providing that might well be the furture for this place.
Perhaps; although Quim and Dawn have recently both been pro-making forum.meego.com a general hub. Certainly MeeGo doesn't need the fragmentation of the Android and iOS communities (if a singular community for those OSes actually exists).

It's also worth thinking that the amount of N9 specific stuff would be fairly minimal: we've seen here that most discussion actually relates to applications for, and modifications of, an OS release.

What'd be N9 specific?
  • Debian packaging. Hopefully dealt with by Qt Creator plugins & OBS.
  • Cases. Can't imagine this being a particularly excited and long running discussion.
  • Extended batteries? USB external ones are relevant for lots of devices, and Nokia seem to be moving in the direction of sealed units for their high-end devices.
  • Other hardware add-ons? Sure, but again - it's going to be dwarfed by app and OS discussions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Sealed batteries terrify me. I have always trusted in the last resort to reset a staled device - pull the battery out. I've done that with my NITs at times. But then if battery is sealed, what could one do?

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Sealed batteries terrify me. I have always trusted in the last resort to reset a staled device - pull the battery out. I've done that with my NITs at times. But then if battery is sealed, what could one do?
I have hacked my ipod touch many times and been in many kind of situations where you just think the device must be dead now, but with different button combinations i have always managed to bring it back to life. Easiest being the 10 sec power button thing that serves as battery out.
N8 also got the push power button for 10 sec for hard reset that unfortunately reading some forums many old time Nokia users have no idea. Also worked on my Zune HD.

With N8 i don't mind it all as you can still access the battery, just not easily. But when it's totally locked and you can't change the battery yourself things can get complicated. Still not a deal breaker for me though.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
well, there are some of us that were upset that they changed it from internet tablet talk in the first place...

maybe they should change it back
Of course they should. The name Maemo.org is a recipe for obsolescence. The name InternetTabletTalk is a recipe for permanent relevance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
meego