Active Topics

Ok, I'm a dumb dumb. I can get through the initial stages up until making the partition, but when I do the following for my 1gb internal card:

#sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM

/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,300,06
/dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:

I get a 'not found error' for p1, p2, etc.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
2 questions:
1- did you type
# umount /media/mmc2

and does
/dev/mmcblk0
exist?

I am using the memory card fine from various applications such as the pdf reader, so I know it's there. If I unmount it says it's not found and if I use /dev/mmcblk0 it says permission denied (I've done sudo gainroot).

1- of course it says not found;
unmount command does not exist it is umount

2- is the card write-protected (the physical switch?)

3- can you say that /dev/mmcblk0 exists?
# cd /dev/mmcblk0
# ls
does it appear on the list?

Neither card is write protected. The cards appear to be mounted as /media/mmc1 and /media/mmc2. Does that make sense?

# cd /dev/mmcblk0 - this doesn't work for me

I went ahead and followed the steps in the first post and everything SEEMED to go well. However, when I try and select the 3rd option from the boot menu, it tells me it failed to boot to the internal flash and it goes on to boot from flash. I have also made the modifications to the bootmenu.conf as noted by fanoush and Graham here. How can I find out what I missed?

Last edited by mscdex; 2008-02-27 at 00:26.

I had to use the --no-reread command for sfdisk and in the end that did it. Unmount didn't seem to do anything.

So I've successfully cloned the OS. Now another daft question, on Windows, the internal card isn't accessible, so how do I backup? Do I need to use a Linux machine?

@ guvnor_p : windows can only see NTFS and FAT partitions. it cannot see the linux partitions. Linux, however, can see all three of these types (and even more...)
To do a backup you may: 1) use the system backup tool to another card or to the FAT partition
2) get a linux device and insert the card there.

I also have a question myself:
when booting from SD, the system sometimes crashes. Looks like a RAM problem, but i'm not certain. I was [yet] unable to reproduce this problem from flash. is there a way to determine if it is a problem with the SD or with the RAM. (i.e. is there a RAM checker for n800, OS 2008, or a SD card checker for windows or linux)?

thanks

Originally Posted by mscdex View Post
I went ahead and followed the steps in the first post and everything SEEMED to go well. However, when I try and select the 3rd option from the boot menu, it tells me it failed to boot to the internal flash and it goes on to boot from flash. I have also made the modifications to the bootmenu.conf as noted by fanoush and Graham here. How can I find out what I missed?
Nobody has any ideas I can try to investigate?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mscdex View Post
Nobody has any ideas I can try to investigate?
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...mc+boot+failed
If you still have problem, post more details.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.