Active Topics

Notices

This is my first package for internet tablets.

Yes I know there are a few mc ports in Maemo repos, but they're impossible to use :-)

This is a full-feature port of mc to maemo, unlike other packages I've seen. All translations to different languages, all syntax highlighting files, all VFS backends (except SMB which is not too usable anyway) are in place, just like on any decent "big" PC. In fact, I run the same version of mc (just recompiled for x86) on the Ubuntu virtual machine I use for internet table developement :-)

The mandatory screenshot:

This is version 4.6.2-pre1 with patches from Fedora, since mc from Debian is a bit rotten. If somebody's interested in sources/patches - they're in the repository above.

Since N8xx lacks functional keys, you will have either to tap the bottom functional key bar, or press <ESC>[0-9], where <ESC> is the key with the counterclockwise arrow on the front panel. For example, <ESC>1 is F1 and so on.

For the sub-shell feature to work you'll have to use bash. I'm using the bash3 package from nitapps.com. With other shells subshell does not work - this is a mc limitation.

To be able to enter into archives and unpack them, you will have to install the respective archivers. You may find in repositories unrar, bzip2, unzip and gzip.

UPDATE: Midnight Commander has been uploaded to Maemo Extras, so you can just launch Application Manager, select the "Tools" section and find the "mc" package with a square blue icon.

UPDATE2: Version 4.6.2-pre1-1maemo3 has been released, featuring file color groups by masks and a little improved load time for large directories (thousands of files).

Last edited by HtheB; 2015-01-30 at 10:51.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to anpaza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Though i appreciate it, please get it on extras or extras-devel, another repo will just mess things up completely (there are already two mcs in other repos).

I'm intending to put it in extras, but a) I don't yet know how to do it; b) I'm going to see if anybody get problems with it.

The link above is to my private repository, it's not intended for public use anyways. Just for testing, temporary packages & such.

The Following User Says Thank You to anpaza For This Useful Post:
Can I install it on Nokia 770 (2006) or it's just for the 80x?

I get "unsatisfied dependency" error while trying to install it, it requires:
file
libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.12-1osso10)

maybe you can point me where to get it.
I'm on n810 (OS2008)

Gomez, unfortunately I don't have ITOS2006 SDK installed yet. The source package is available, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to recompile it for ITOS2006.

propeller, here:
http://stage.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.1...so13_armel.deb

You may also need to upgrade your glibc, since glib depends on it:
http://stage.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.0...sso7_armel.deb

These are from Diablo, however I think you will have no problems using them with chinook. Try first just glib, and if it barfs about the wrong glibc, install glibc too.

Hmm, looks like diablo SDK contains too new libraries which results in packages built without backward compatibility. I would hate to have to install several SDKs... perhaps this could be solved by specifying proper dependencies in control file, I'll look into it for the next release.

The 'file' tool is available here:
http://stage.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.0.1/free/f/file/

In fact, it should be automatically pulled as a dependency, no idea why it doesn't happen for you.

Last edited by anpaza; 2008-07-08 at 07:25.

Okay, forget what I said above, i have rebuilt the package to depend on libglib2.0-0 (>=2.0) and libc6 (>= 2.3). This should be enough to install it on any OS version up to N770 with the original ROM.

So everybody with Chinook and perhaps even N770 who tried to install it but failed may give it another try. I hope it'll work this time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anpaza For This Useful Post:
Now it works for me, thanks!
However, I had to install two additional packages in red pill mode:
http://stage.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.0...osso_armel.deb
http://stage.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.0...osso_armel.deb

Great build btw, looks very nice.

This puzzles me, isn't Application Manager supposed to auto-install dependencies? I was assuming it will auto-download the 'file' tool. Or do I have to add the stage.maemo.org repository in my .install file too? If so, I'll have to create several .install files - separately for every OS version... :-(

I've made the 'file' tool a strict dependency because without it the View function (F3) won't work - 'file' is used to determine the type of the file you're trying to view.

Last edited by anpaza; 2008-07-09 at 12:07.

It installed just fine on my N800 with Diablo, but is there a way to tap the screen without forcing the soft keyboard to popup?