Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
The apt comparison here isn't what they do with BT tethering, but what they do with their data cards. Do they throttle their USB and Express-Card devices to some particular speed? And if so, what speed?
Why do you think that is the apt comparison?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Why do you think that is the apt comparison?
because it's essentially a cradlepoint router with the USB modem or express card built in.

because it's essentially a cradlepoint router with the USB modem or express card built in.
I meant to say that they might limit the speed of the WiFi connection.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
You're complaining about 480kbps? Pfft.
No. What I don't like is that, in addition to other anti-competitive policies designed to foster a closed network, they take various action to discourage or outright limit tethering to devices that they haven't approved for use on their network.

You mean they limit devices they haven't figure out how to use to rob you blind. *rolls eyes*

No. What I don't like is that, in addition to other anti-competitive policies designed to foster a closed network, they take various action to discourage or outright limit tethering to devices that they haven't approved for use on their network.
Considering Verizon isn't GSM...

how do you get a device onto their network without their approval? aside from hacking into their (IMEI?) database to insert your device's IMEI number into the list of approved devices?

Considering Verizon isn't GSM...

how do you get a device onto their network without their approval? aside from hacking into their (IMEI?) database to insert your device's IMEI number into the list of approved devices?
You don't. What's your point?

You don't. What's your point?
I read your statement backwards (thought you were referring to them limiting the speed of "phones" that they hadn't approved to have on their network, not "laptops/pdas/nits/etc."). Sorry.

No, you don't hack in and get your IMEI onto their network. What you do is get your phone or 3g device unlocked, and then you get them to register it as an existing device on their network through the normal means.

btw: there's now a NAM 3G GSM version of the Mifi (no word yet on which carriers will pick it up, and whether it's AT&T/Canadian vs T-Mo-USA, and whether or not it'll have European 3G, and how many GSM bands...etc.).

Novatel Wireless Announces MiFi 2372 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot Optimized for North American HSPA Broadband Networks