Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I am not in favor, I only care about functionality
+1

Don't really care about ugradeability/customisability, just make it great OOTB...
So long as it's quite versatile,* & has excellent built-in functionality/utility/usability, that's enough.
Then you'll have a solid device, that won't cost as much as a device that also focuses on ugradeability/customisability.
But I know from an ODM's POV (i.e. you), the latter might be more appealing...

*& hence mitigates the need for ugradeability/customisability

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-08-10 at 16:32.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
+1

Don't really care about ugradeability/customisability, just make it great OOTB...
So long as it's quite versatile,* & has excellent built-in functionality/utility/usability, that's enough.
Then you'll have a solid device, that won't cost as much as a device that also focuses on ugradeability/customisability.
But I know from an ODM's POV (i.e. you), the latter might be more appealing...

*& hence mitigates the need for ugradeability/customisability
+1 on your +1 Jalyst

€150 is a lot of money for a keyboard...
But hey, there isn't an alternative, so maybe I'll pay it. But....
For that price I want to be 100% sure it's good.
I want to try it, keys have to work flawless. No double presses, no multikey presses because of the design of the keys (small, middle of key has to be higher, as on N900).
Design doesn't have to be top-notch, but it should look like a normal keyboard. Not like this one:

Why not: black board in white plastic. Can be done better. It looks DIY, not €150. Metal hinges visible. Could house a bigger board (or in such a way the camera is always unobstructed).

For €150 I also don't expect "mickey-mouse"-solutions. It doesn't need a lot of extra power, it works (no instability issues) and no switching on/waiting things. I think it's ok to switch it on, but then it needs to work right away.

That's my cup of tea. I want to pay that much for it, but it should be worth the price. And: a minimum of 2 years normal guarantee.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
I'd be ready to fork out 150€ if it's a quality thing, that is, it works as it's supposed to, both with native and Android apps. That being said, I'd prefer the extra money to go into testing and enhancing build quality (removing glitches, double presses, pimping up the software etc.), rather then customization and design frills. I couldn't care less about those.

The Following User Says Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Ok, thanks for the replies!

What I understand:
-custom colours and materials is not wanted
-typing experience should be flawless
-higher price possible, but comes with huge expectations
-software should be fully integrated

Some remarks:
-custom colours is possible, but has to be decided somewhat early in process, it affects the design. if this is not wanted by you, makes live easier for me. during rev1 had some requests for different colours, hence the question/idea
-the whole camera covering issue will not go away, because the camera is in the middle. it will leave a big hole in your keypad. but i have a trick up my sleeve to eliminate this issue
-the focus is on making it more professional, so no DIY solutions. this is a major focus point
-keypad will be bigger

If there are people that want to add anything, or disagree about anything, shout out!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
-typing experience should be flawless
-it will leave a big hole in your keypad. but i have a trick up my sleeve to eliminate this issue
-the focus is on making it more professional, so no DIY solutions. this is a major focus point
-keypad will be bigger
These are by far the most important points IMO...

Focus on them & only them & you'll have a better chance at executing very solidly, hence (possibly) justifying the asking price, whilst also increasing speed of delivery.
Once you've nailed that sharpened focus, you can broaden it further with the 3rd TOHKBD iteration.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-08-11 at 16:48. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
That being said, I'd prefer the extra money to go into testing and enhancing build quality (removing glitches, double presses, pimping up the software etc.), rather then customization and design frills. I couldn't care less about those.
^This.
Focus hw/sw/design quality, forget about customisability, for now at least.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I would find it nice to have different keyboard layouts to chose from. Just would love to have a qwertz Keyboard. More customizability isn't necessary in my opinion.

-the whole camera covering issue will not go away, because the camera is in the middle. it will leave a big hole in your keypad. but i have a trick up my sleeve to eliminate this issue
Well....explain, please.
Huge expectations is maybe a little bit much....because it's still a bit DIY (by you), but I do expect it works good and it does look good.

The rest what's mentioned: sounds great.

The Following User Says Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
I am in favor of full custom keyboard and 150 sounds good
But
Originally Posted by robnas View Post
For that price I want to be 100% sure it's good.
What means that I care most about functionality

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd