Notices

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Getting back on topic...

I've done some experimenting...it seems that the problem is how other players (Canola, mYTube) call mplayer. I run into stuttering or speed-up/halt problem after using these other players for a while (10+ minutes), but when I use mplayer by itself on the root video it plays just fine.

Could it be that when one of these other players calls mplayer to do its processing for a single video, that some tuning variables don't get reset between different videos?

So far everything that I've tested is an .flv file.

It might be that the reason that I had not seen this problem before is that previously I was watching .avi's which use the internal media player engine.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I'm sorry, but personally I don't really care anymore. ... Add to that the ongoing video playback limitations and the persistent problems with system upgrades and that's me finally gone.
Hey Karl,
I'm sure that many us "feel your pain." Or rather, we're feeling the same pain!!!
Anyway, as I notice many of the old-timers dropping out of the forum one by one, I just wanted to say how I've enjoyed and appreciated your posts and contributions over the years.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Getting back on topic...

ould it be that when one of these other players calls mplayer to do its processing for a single video, that some tuning variables don't get reset between different videos?

So far everything that I've tested is an .flv file.
I'm new to this thread, sorry. But, if you install the load applet, start what stutters then look at the desktop to see the load meter, you'll find the CPU load all the way to the top. It's only a 400 Mhz processor and we're loading it all up with servicing Canola and the other monster app handlers. All that glitz simply eats the available CPU cycles. Dump the glitz and boot mplayer with its simple handler and the meter is no longer maxed out and the movie plays fine. All that graphic glitz simply eats too much computer on the simple machine.

The simple media player, if it has a codec, is faster because its osso is already loaded if you look at the processes running on the load applet, so there's less load with it than with raw mplayer.