Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
to the thread theme: to my understanding what's most valuable to nokia (who loaned the device) is to receive feedback that have the potential to change something for the better before launch. this includes
  • submitting bug reports
  • developing and testing software on the actual device (example: extras-testing marathon)
  • submitting feedback directly to developers of particular software, either in extras, extras-testing, (or with certain reservations, extras-devel)
  • install and use crash reporter

this is what i've focused on. reviewing and discussing the device on tmo is interesting, and sure, when i stumble upon something i'm in a privileged position to answer, i do. but that hasn't been my main priority.

qgil, or someone else, if there is something in particular that needs focus right now, i'm happy to assist. and personally i wouldn't mind if the internal email list of us 300 would be used for specific requests.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I tried to invite the 300 testers to at least answer the open questions at
http://wiki.maemo.org/NokiaWorld_2009_QA
in this thread, but that was hardly successful.
thanks and sorry, i missed that one before!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
How's battery life working out for you guys? Are you getting through a day of normal usage without needing a recharge?
See the maemo-users thread starting here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Forward facing camera... used by anything?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
a while ago, I started this thread:

summit n900 recipients, report in
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33205

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Just the Mirror app at the moment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
How's battery life working out for you guys? Are you getting through a day of normal usage without needing a recharge?
I think there was a thread that touched on this already, but:
  • As a phone idling in my pocket, waiting for calls, the N900 easily lasts all day. It might well achieve ~32 hours idle around my work and home, matching the best I've seen from other (non-smart) phones.
  • As an "Internet tablet", loading one web page after another, moving and merging threads on here, the N900 lasts roughly as long as my N800 or N810. I'll boost the battery back up three or so times throughout the day as it reaches 50%-ish.
  • As a camera with flash, taking dozens of photos, the N900 lasts about as long as my old Olympus C-4000 Zoom. That is, about two hours. Without flash, taking photos doesn't hit the the N900's battery hard at all.

The non-final firmware and numerous variables involved make what you might see quite hard to predict though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by lma View Post
There is a contract (which explicitly forbids copying and reverse engineering for example).
Forbids copying what, exactly? Because if Nokia forbade anyone from copying software which was licensed to them under the GPL that would terminate their licence. Which would be bad.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Forbids copying what, exactly? Because if Nokia forbade anyone from copying software which was licensed to them under the GPL that would terminate their licence. Which would be bad.
At least in Europe, for certain limited purposes reverse engineering is allowed even if a copyright license says otherwise. I don't know if that would apply to the things we'd like to do with the N900.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Theoretically for video calls, but according to the comments in bug 5218 that won't work in the first release.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Forbids copying what, exactly?
"The Product(s) and any accompanying materials" is the exact wording.

Because if Nokia forbade anyone from copying software which was licensed to them under the GPL that would terminate their licence.
Relax, the GPL says nothing about being allowed to copy binaries, and the GPL components' sources are available in repository.maemo.org :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
qik video streaming, sparta