Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
it is (in my opinion a useless) process that scans your cards for media files. removing it has no advers affects what so ever. in addition to improved battery life , startup time is improved. to disable it , have becomeroot installed and in xterm type....

sudo gainroot

/etc/init.d/metalayer-crawler0 stop

cd /usr/sbin

mv /etc/rc2.d/S99metalayer-crawler0 /etc/rc2.d/K99metalayer-crawler0

exit

exit

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
OK, done that, thanks.
seems like maemo-launcher is taking 12% processor time doing nothing. Is it supposed to? -
1060 user 40548 SW< /usr/bin/hildon-desktop

I charged my nokia at work, so it was full at 17:15. I then put it in my bag locked. I got home, had dinner, chatted on the net on the powerbook. It is now 19:35, so 2:20 later got the nokia out and the batery meter is on half and says idle 3 days, in use less than an hour. Brightness is half (although it was off in my bag), wireless is on.

on my n810 , i always have it set on max brightness , though i do have the light sensor disabled as well so that helps reclaim a bit of cpu. in general , id say on mine , i could surf the web for at least 5-6 hours straigh with screen on max brightness before i need to recharge. what types of apps do you have installed that may be running in the background?

Virtually nothing yet, I have only had it a week or so.
I have installed a couple of text editors, maemo mapper, the C++ build tools, ssh, numpty physics.
Apart from ssh, I would have thought that the other stuff wouldn't be doing much unless I ran it.
It was second hand, although the previous user was far from technical (I suspect they sold it as it wasn't windows, as there were a few .exe files in download), so I doubt they put anything on it.

The battery life on the 770 was good, so I was suprised at how bad the 810 is.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
OK, done that, thanks.
seems like maemo-launcher is taking 12% processor time doing nothing. Is it supposed to? -
1060 user 40548 SW< /usr/bin/hildon-desktop

I charged my nokia at work, so it was full at 17:15. I then put it in my bag locked. I got home, had dinner, chatted on the net on the powerbook. It is now 19:35, so 2:20 later got the nokia out and the batery meter is on half and says idle 3 days, in use less than an hour. Brightness is half (although it was off in my bag), wireless is on.
Was it charging at the time? Then the 12% usage was the battery applet redrawing the screen ( yeah, really ).

I would also remove unnecessary WiFi networks from the device and try to test battery drain at different WiFi points. The reason I say this is my 810 will last at least 2 days of medium usage at my home, work, walking around.... but if I go down to my in-laws the battery will drain in a few hours because of the crappy crappy DSL/WiFi combo that Verizon hands out. I can reproduce the effect every time I go down there, I have to go offline or switch off the device or it will be dead before I leave.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
It wasn't charging at the time, no.
There is only one wifi connection on the list, which is my current home wifi connection. It is a belkin N1, running in G mode.

seem like your battery might be fubar.... as i said , my 810 has great battery life. as im always using it.... my girlfriend says im addicted to it LOL

Beware of measuring percentage of CPU use; 12% at 166 MHz is about 5% of total capacity. (And I'm assuming it was at 166 MHz, but if it's idle, it probably was.)

Well, it wasn't idle, it was running top! But yes, I see your point.

Maybe my battery is duff, but the machine is pretty new, it would be suprising if the battery was that bad that quickly

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Well, it wasn't idle, it was running top! But yes, I see your point.

Maybe my battery is duff, but the machine is pretty new, it would be suprising if the battery was that bad that quickly
Ive been using the n800 since a long while... and by now the battery is
really bad. As u said i cannot go 2 hours without a battery change. Did you buy yours second hand? or brand new??