Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
On my N810 I have been using Gringotts - it specifically encrypts and decrypts text files. Try it on Maemo 5...
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/gringotts/
I installed the programme along with the 3 required packages and it starts up fine. The programme looks amazing and would have been perfect, but when I try and open or save a document it just terminates. Could this be because it is not compatible with maemo 5?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
The German part of the question really confuses me.
But I didn't write any of the question in German.

Just joking.

One of the Comments about Gringotts says: "The only problem I found so far is that some of the menus are not correctly translated to English (they're still in German), which is not a problem to me as I know German."

And so the main question doesn't get lost: Is it GUI-based or Command Line?

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
It's has a very nice graphical interface.

The Following User Says Thank You to bret hart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by jsuggs View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I would be more interested in having a secure directory that used some form of encryption and required a password to access.

Are there not any encryption programs available?
Well, in the old days of Maemo 4, there was EasyCrypt, but to my mind it never got really completed. It was (or was to be) a Maemo-ized TrueCrypt.

And that's as good as it got.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Restart this Thread:
I have an insecure text file with ~200 Websites/IDs/Passwords/etc

I'd like to batch them into something like Password Safe. I'm OK with awk, so formatting isn't an issue. Any ideas? I don't think I could enter them manually.

Thanks

Haven't you guys notice?
Go to xterm. Type in "gpg". Yes, it is there.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
I was planning on creating a new thread, but the OP describes exactly what I'm needing...

I've been using NoteCase (source code and binaries here) on my N810 for over a year and it does exactly what the OP is wanting. I have hundreds of notes organized in a tree structure containing not only accounts and passwords, but lots of other data I'd like to keep private. I'm able to open the same exact NoteCase data file on my WinXP, Win7, OS X, and Ubuntu PCs too.

I migrated the NoteCase data file over to my N900 and was able to install (dpkg) the Diablo package without any issues or warnings. NoteCase starts just fine, but the "open" or "save" dialogs are completely hosed and lock up NoteCase. This is what I'd expect and I'm surprised that it installed and worked as well as it did.

Update: With PR1.1 update installed, the open source version of NoteCase v1.9.8 works perfectly on the N900. KeePassX is also being developed and looks promising.

The NoteCase developer does have a N900 build of the commercial version of NoteCase Pro which I installed and confirmed it could open my legacy NoteCase data file. However, in order to use NoteCase Pro, I essentially need to purchase ~$55 in licensing fees for the N900 version and a new version for my PC. The frustrating part is that there are no real features I need in the Pro version and the original open source version is perfectly adequate for me.

I'd rather offer a $55 bounty to get the BSD licensed version of NoteCase properly ported over to Maemo 5 and then everyone with Maemo 5 devices can use it. Is there anyone who can help with this porting project?

Is anyone working on KeePass or TruCrypt for Maemo 5?
Yes, people are!

@arkanoid, yup, gpg is there, but isn't it just for a single file at a time encryption? That would sure make for a lot of scrolling until I found the data I was looking for.

I also tried Password Safe... Disappointed would be an understatement! I'll save that rant for another thread.

Last edited by speednut; 2010-01-23 at 21:24.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
You could have a loop device that is gpg encrypted.

Hmm and if iirc I saw fuse somewher so things like encfs could also be used I guess.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
@ruskie: Can you give me a few more hints about your suggestions? I'm not able to follow your suggestions just yet to go off and experiment; need some more details.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Well I was more thinking I guess about loop-aes - no clue if it's supported or not.

What I would like to see is something similar to the pgp windows drive stuff but using gpg tools.

Basically have a loop device that is encrypted using gpg and then mount it.