Notices

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
[Require] N900 Grand Theft Auto Game - Top Down

As Above

Would be great to have, is the original game open sauce now or is there something VERY similar that can be ported to the n900

GTA N900 Ftw

Please follow me on Twitter

www.twitter.com/marcdixon

The Following User Says Thank You to marcdxn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marcdxn View Post
[Require] N900 Grand Theft Auto Game - Top Down

As Above

Would be great to have, is the original game open sauce now or is there something VERY similar that can be ported to the n900

GTA N900 Ftw
tried it using the available amiga emulator?

I've not tried this but would more so like to go through a direct N900 version than an emulated version if possible ?

Originally Posted by marcdxn View Post
I've not tried this but would more so like to go through a direct N900 version than an emulated version if possible ?
fairy snuff.
seems it is available for free now.

http://www.fileradar.net/files/view/...Free-Game/1233

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 263 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
There seems to be OpenGTA (http://ogta.fifengine.de/download.html) which requires original game data files, but the first GTA is free to download nowadays (http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/?id=1) so that's not a big problem. I don't know how well OGTA works, but you can test it on your Windows or Linux machine. And of course it needs to be ported to Maemo for it to work on N900 (OpenGL -> OpenGL ES would probably be the most difficult task in porting).

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
There is Payback from the Amiga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUFhNQpME0s but I can't imagine this being good on the N900 through an emulator.

I think you're gonna have to chalk this one up to "won't like, won't get".

That said, the PSX emulator running GTA might be playable on an overclocked machine? Not sure if anyone's tried this yet, sorry.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
If theres a GBC emulator available theres a GTA 2 version for GBC. Otherwise Chinatown Wars should be run-able in case theres a decent DS emulator for N900 available(I know theres one but I'm not sure of the status).

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@TNiga looks like it was a pre-beta (alpha? ) in 2006/7 and hasn't been touched since. There's a news post from 2008 on the main page but I don't think this version mentioned was ever released... judging from the screen shots you can't even use weapons. This would be awsome on the N900 and thanks for the link but we're talking about a mammoth effort.

Cool they give it away free now... dosbox?
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Can anyone have a try at porting it so we can have an n900 specific game if its all free now this would be the legal option - i don't own Nintendo Cartridges to use the emulators for those versions

What goes into the process of porting such a game for Maemo ?

Last edited by marcdxn; 2010-07-07 at 14:09.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
There is Payback from the Amiga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUFhNQpME0s but I can't imagine this being good on the N900 through an emulator.
Thats for Amiga A1200 (1992), not Amiga 500 (1987)

Tags
goforajoyride