Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Looking at N-Gage's current games line up, I think they need to make a higher tier to compete with iPhone games. This is needed because the current N-Gage titles still need to maintain compatibility with the earlier devices with much less horsepower than the N900, whereas the N900 shouldn't be tied down with such limitation to be able to compete well against its competitors.

Comparison: The Sims 3 version that's in N-Gage is 2d sprites based game (charming graphic i must say, but a little dated) whereas the iPhone version is completely in 3D with great textures.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Why not create an open alternative to n-gage for maemo? I have wrote about this in a similar post in the games thread but that post seems dead.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mrmcq2u View Post
Why not create an open alternative to n-gage for maemo? I have wrote about this in a similar post in the games thread but that post seems dead.
SDL/OpenGL ES 2.0 plus the Application Manager?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
i would suggest the Omap3 used in the n900.

it has the immense advantage that it is common to the iphone 3GS and Palm Pre, nothing like common hardware for making app porting as easy as possible.
The hardware for "Maemo N-Gage" should be set as minimum of what is in N900. And this is more powerful than Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable. It will do very well.

Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
if maemo5 lacks DRM which permits a commercial app-store then it needs to get one soon.
Just to imagine the reactions on this forums if some form of DRM gets in Maemo... the horror...

you and I both want the n900/maemo5 family to do well.

i believe that to 'do well' this will require support for a commercial sales channel that is attractive to the same developers making their fame and fortune in the itunes app store, you may agree with this.

and both of us realise that just because the platform supports DRM does not mean that everything is all of a sudden locked down and out of our control, i.e. if you want to stick with open source then you will be able to do so and no-one can gainsay you.

i don't like DRM either, but i'm willing to be pragmatic on this.

Last edited by REMFwhoopitydo; 2009-09-01 at 09:20.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
SDL/OpenGL ES 2.0 plus the Application Manager?
Because you obviously didn't read the post I was referring to I will copy and paste it here ->

I think we should start thinking of a more open replacement.
I personally think that maybe there should be some cooperation on this front to compete with the likes of apple.
An open gaming alliance for example, which spans across Maemo and android devices.
In a perfect world there would be more devices running Maemo but I don't think that will happen any time soon.
The reason why you need an open gaming alliance is to set some standards for portable gaming, standard hardware specs, standard social features etc.
One of the reasons why the iphone has been successful was because the device itself was sort of a standard.
The developers knew what the lowest spec device was going to be.
So the open gaming alliance would set a spec to guide developers.
Hardware wise the n900 has a shot but having something similar to n-gage arena would help in marketing it as a superior gaming device.
The iphone os currently has lots of games available, trying to compete in terms of scale is probably the wrong approach to take.
But there are issues with the current implementation of n-gage, its a very closed approach.. It doesn't take open source into account.
Having an api open and available to developers has its downsides also, its not as simple as making the current one available as that could enable people to break the social aspects of n-gage.
Maybe to avail of social aspects an open source maintainer must register his project with the open gaming alliance, the oga would distribute the games and the social aspects would only be available from games which were obtained from this repo.
I think the concept of n-gage is a good one but it should not be locked in to any one vendor.
There is also other aspects which could be considered like revenue for open source game developers.
Developing open source games is a very different thing than creating open source applications.
There is a lack of great storey driven open source games. Instead of open source games developers moving onto the next project they improve the current one.
This leads to a lack of diversity in terms of genres.
It also leads to a complete lack of commitment in terms of story telling, instead focusing on the hands on experience and thus ending with dull experiences which are not very compelling.
Its all due to the development model, time=money and unlike application development you are unlikely to get any corporate sponsorship when creating an open source game.
There are many ways this could be changed, having a way to donate directly to the maintainer of a game is a great method.
One of the best methods I have spotted in supporting open source games developers is through a sort of ransom.
The way it works is they show what they have and take donations until they reach their quota at which point they make the source available.
This encourages the developers to start new projects and also concentrate on different aspects of the development process like story telling.
They could also sell a game and when they have sold a set number of copies the code is released, this could encourage closed source games developers to start releasing code.
Maybe the games developers who distribute through the oga and choose the ransom method would receive a small grant to get it finished.

Originally Posted by mrmcq2u View Post

I think we should start thinking of a more open replacement.
I personally think that maybe there should be some cooperation on this front to compete with the likes of apple.
An open gaming alliance for example, which spans across Maemo and android devices.
In a perfect world there would be more devices running Maemo but I don't think that will happen any time soon.
The reason why you need an open gaming alliance is to set some standards for portable gaming, standard hardware specs, standard social features etc.
One of the reasons why the iphone has been successful was because the device itself was sort of a standard.
The developers knew what the lowest spec device was going to be.
So the open gaming alliance would set a spec to guide developers.
Hardware wise the n900 has a shot but having something similar to n-gage arena would help in marketing it as a superior gaming device.
The iphone os currently has lots of games available, trying to compete in terms of scale is probably the wrong approach to take.
But there are issues with the current implementation of n-gage, its a very closed approach.. It doesn't take open source into account.
Having an api open and available to developers has its downsides also, its not as simple as making the current one available as that could enable people to break the social aspects of n-gage.
Maybe to avail of social aspects an open source maintainer must register his project with the open gaming alliance, the oga would distribute the games and the social aspects would only be available from games which were obtained from this repo.
I think the concept of n-gage is a good one but it should not be locked in to any one vendor.
There is also other aspects which could be considered like revenue for open source game developers.
Developing open source games is a very different thing than creating open source applications.
There is a lack of great storey driven open source games. Instead of open source games developers moving onto the next project they improve the current one.
This leads to a lack of diversity in terms of genres.
It also leads to a complete lack of commitment in terms of story telling, instead focusing on the hands on experience and thus ending with dull experiences which are not very compelling.
Its all due to the development model, time=money and unlike application development you are unlikely to get any corporate sponsorship when creating an open source game.
There are many ways this could be changed, having a way to donate directly to the maintainer of a game is a great method.
One of the best methods I have spotted in supporting open source games developers is through a sort of ransom.
The way it works is they show what they have and take donations until they reach their quota at which point they make the source available.
This encourages the developers to start new projects and also concentrate on different aspects of the development process like story telling.
They could also sell a game and when they have sold a set number of copies the code is released, this could encourage closed source games developers to start releasing code.
Maybe the games developers who distribute through the oga and choose the ransom method would receive a small grant to get it finished.
That would be good, a gaming arena alliance between Android and Maemo, but I think Nokia already has Symbian N-Gage, so they can easily have this multi-OS gaming arena platform be avaialble on Symbian and Maemo - and the gaming community will be excited about it.
Now, there are 2 pre-requisites for N-Gage arena gaming to run on Maemo:
1. To have Java on Maemo because many N-Gage games run on Java
2. To have a common API for Symbian and Maemo, so the gaming industry can easily target both platforms with just a re-compilation.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Exactly. Figure out how to publish games running on a Qt-like engine on Symbian, Maemo, and even the other mobile OSes. I don't know if Qt will allow rich 3D games, but I bet Nokia makes it somehow do so. If it can be the preferred gaming platform and ecosystem, its a beast.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
That would be good, a gaming arena alliance between Android and Maemo, but I think Nokia already has Symbian N-Gage, so they can easily have this multi-OS gaming arena platform be avaialble on Symbian and Maemo - and the gaming community will be excited about it.
Now, there are 2 pre-requisites for N-Gage arena gaming to run on Maemo:
1. To have Java on Maemo because many N-Gage games run on Java
2. To have a common API for Symbian and Maemo, so the gaming industry can easily target both platforms with just a re-compilation.
All N-Gage games are Java... and you're forgetting something:

DRM.