Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
In practice this however gives a mixed message to any potential user. They either are offered a bare-bones (often insufficient) experience of an open community backed Nemo, or they are offered a friendly experience of the closed UI of the Sailfish. It sounds like (un?)intentional promotion of the closed components in general. Since in the end, it's the functional user experience that will make it or break it for adoption of any kind of system.
what about joining #nemomobile on FreeNode IRC and help us make Nemo even better

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to faenil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
FYI:
[thread tools] -> [unsubscribe from this thread]
Redirecting...

Your subscription for this thread has been removed.
Good luck
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Originally Posted by faenil View Post
what about joining #nemomobile on FreeNode IRC and help us make Nemo even better
That's exactly the point. What is Sailfish community, if improving something rather relates to Nemo? I can understand what Nemo community means, and I'd try running Nemo and helping with it as soon as I'll get a suitable spare device for it (or make it runnable on something like Nexus 7). It's not so clear what Sailfish community is though.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Sailfish's equivalent "community", will be the many services (B2B interaction models etc) that they're -hopefully- building on top right now, but that we've -so far- heard relatively little about.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sailfish's equivalent "community", will be the many services (B2B interaction models etc) that they're -hopefully- building on top right now, but that we've -so far- heard relatively little about.
I think we have to wait until atleast some more people have the device

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well, I am still concerned about the quite big duplication of effort - with Nemo having to build the whole UI & core apps from the ground up, while there already is a working implementation working on the same hardware that even uses the very same middleware.

Also, the closed Sailfish UI layer has at the moment quite a lot of missing features & bugs, but there is no place to submit them & track progress and the source is not open, so community can't help with fixing them.

So these two are my main concern.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
FYI:
[thread tools] -> [unsubscribe from this thread]

Good luck
/j
Coherence...

The Following User Says Thank You to stezz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Helsinki
==About things to do==
I think I have once again to go back introducing one very important variable in human terms: TIME.

Not everything can happen at the same time (don't tell to Einstein please). Things usually happen one after the other.

We founded Jolla, we had to find money and people that believed in our idea, we started hiring people, we started working on the SW, we committed to release a phone, we did that. And we are at NOW.

Since we haven't stopped working (yet) we will continue working on the SW, shipping phones, helping a community to build itself and flourish.

== about community ==

I kept reading posts and posts where it is clear that the assumption is that this is the only community and the only type of community possible ever. There is nothing else than TMO and if you want to be really a real geek you have to be in TMO (poor guys in Ubuntu forums).

There are other kinds of people out there. Fanboys, critics, other geeks, hardcore developers, gurus, kids that will like to play with something new, dads that want to make a gift to their wives.

These guys will come here and will be scared away by the same guys that go to jollausers forum and feel pity for these poor guys.

So please try to stop a moment and think how big is the world and how many kind of persons exist.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to stezz For This Useful Post:
I think it is a good idea if all the Jolla employees who are active here, show a special tag in there signature, so people can see easily who is employee of Jolla.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by stezz View Post
== about community ==

I kept reading posts and posts where it is clear that the assumption is that this is the only community and the only type of community possible ever. There is nothing else than TMO and if you want to be really a real geek you have to be in TMO (poor guys in Ubuntu forums).

There are other kinds of people out there. Fanboys, critics, other geeks, hardcore developers, gurus, kids that will like to play with something new, dads that want to make a gift to their wives.

These guys will come here and will be scared away by the same guys that go to jollausers forum and feel pity for these poor guys.

So please try to stop a moment and think how big is the world and how many kind of persons exist.
It's sad that you view what we are saying that way. It's far simpler. There is a powerful community here. We think that it is to our mutual benefit to build upon it, instead of building a new one. That is all.

We are open to changing stuff so that we can accomodate all those kinds of people you describe. We're not afraid to grow.

P.S. I also believe that it is to the benefit of the dad who wants to get a gift to his wife. When things go wrong, we have many really helpful knowledgeable people here that will try to solve dad's problem without resorting to a reflash without second thought, like your average service center will do.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: