Notices

its slow... even if u overclock, but i am only using "ideal" setting.
i want my phone to last me at least a year more

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by maa-emo View Post
wget http://moff.mozilla.com/latest-beta/..._4.0_armel.deb
wget: not found
with expansion of address from Copy link address

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Seattle, WA, US
If you're seeing excessive memory use or swapping in the release candidate, could you try changing the following options in about:config?

toolkit.browser.cacheRatioHeight -> 2000
toolkit.browser.cacheRatioWidth -> 1200

This should reduce the memory usage (but might increase checkerboarding). Please let me know if this gives you a better experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to mbrubeck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
i installed this, works great for me. I remember the last official FF for maemo and it was so slow and cumbersome, all i saw was the checked background, it froze, crashed, wouldn't load things, nightmare. For a long time i stopped using FF on the N900 altogether. The betas improved it and now this is, for me, a perfectly working browser.
MicroB is my main browser, always will be, but i use firefox for when i'm away from the laptop and want my tabs/information synced

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I think the big issue here is Mozilla Labs is using the same name as the folks at OVI for their package. They install their repository, but then tell it to install "fenec", which it grabs the package from the OVI repository, despite their repository having a higher version number. The result:

People think they're installing 4.0, but get 1.1

If you think 4.0 is just as slow as it was before, double check your version. FF4 is easily 4 to 6 times as fast as it was before, and is (finally) a hair faster than the built-in Micro browser. There are plugins to handle opening links in tabs (in the background) by simply doing long-taps.

My only guess here is that they "tested" this by disabling other repositories (including the OVI repository). They also have an issue in that their key was updated recently, and isn't on the standard repository ring, AND they're using a compressed Package file, and offer no uncompressed version in their manifest. The later only affects those of us using an older apt manager, but that's a lot of people still.

I searched for a link to tell them about this, but there was no clear contact information or feedback link, on their site or in the repository settings (manager info is blank). The best way to get it for now is to use wget (you may have to install wget with apt-get install wget first) and then use dpkg to install it locally.

If you didn't use wget and/or dpkg, you very likely do NOT have FF4 installed.

Can the OP post that in post 1 please via an edit? It would make life a LOT easier here.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I am 100% sure. I always install from downloaded .deb

This is an old problem. For some reason if you previously installed Firefox via OVI then you can't install betas or any other versions. You can only install whater OVI lets you (the official versions in the OVI store). It's complete crap, but no one at Nokia seems to care. There are work arounds in the terminal. I disabled the OVI repository and installed the new beta through Faster Application Manager with success.

I updated from App Manager just fine. Here is how my catalog entry:

Name:  Screenshot-20110324-123958.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  23.9 KB

The cutoff "Web address" entry is:

Code:
http://moff.mozilla.com/latest-beta/maemo/multi/
I'm very impressed with this version; Gotta love opening new tabs in the background. Now we just need copy-and-paste...

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Copy and paste has been there forever. Tap in front or behind the text you want to copy, then hold shift and use directional button to select, then ctrl+c to copy.

Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
Copy and paste has been there forever. Tap in front or behind the text you want to copy, then hold shift and use directional button to select, then ctrl+c to copy.
Sorry, I should have been more clear:

Touchscreen-only copy-and-paste

Tags
goooooogle, jfgi!