Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
Mine is NOT flaking, peeling, chipping, discoloring, cracking, creaking -- nothing!

Well, I'm using three N9s [two simultaneously, Cyan & White] and the Black sometimes. While my spouse is using the Magenta one and she uses it pretty roughly.

All are made in Finland. We are using them since 2+ months now. They are all encased in the OEM soft-case. No screen protectors used ever [don't like the idea]. And none of them has any of the subject issues yet.

We do sometimes take our beloved N9s off-the-casings too, when partying / meeting folks [just for kicks].

Looking at all the above posts we seem to be lucky!

Qorax

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Slovenia, Ljubljana
Originally Posted by qorax View Post
Mine is NOT flaking, peeling, chipping, discoloring, cracking, creaking -- nothing!

Well, I'm using three N9s [two simultaneously, Cyan & White] and the Black sometimes. While my spouse is using the Magenta one and she uses it pretty roughly.

All are made in Finland. We are using them since 2+ months now. They are all encased in the OEM soft-case. No screen protectors used ever [don't like the idea]. And none of them has any of the subject issues yet.

We do sometimes take our beloved N9s off-the-casings too, when partying / meeting folks [just for kicks].

Looking at all the above posts we seem to be lucky!

Qorax
Same here, I even droped it once and no evidence of it at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to drvar For This Useful Post:
It was clearly advertised that body is same colour all through.

If that is not true, something fishy is going on. Could demand
replacements for such bodies, as they don't correspond to
the specification?

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Here's a question: Are there any cyan, magenta or white N9's peeling like the black one in the OP?

Also, stop saying "your device is fake" to people, when that is obviously not true. They might have some sort of construction error but I'm fairly certain the devices in question are the real deal.

The USB and SIM covers are not the body, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was painted plastic or whatever, but the chipping around the camera is worrying. It does, to me, look like a greyish body painted black. Nokia Have been rather loud about the fact that this very thing should never happen, and now it's happening, so wtf is going on?

EDIT: I looked closer at the pictures and it seems pretty clear that the paint coating turns grey when it's bent. Undeneath it is black again. So I guess once it starts peeling, you just have to peel the whole thing. I hope it's only a problem for the black ones.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2012-03-06 at 10:09.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Seems to me there are lots of fake stuff out there, and that include USB/SIM covers. But, each N9 is delivered with a rubber protective case that fits like a glow, gives excellent grip, looks nice and really do protect the device. Why not use it?
So most of my Nokia's must have been assembled of fake parts as loosing coating is standard procedure.

Agreed that standard rubber, it is very good as anti-slip.

but for preventing wear of the USB cover or polycarbonate phone frame it shows only limited effciency.

It only protects the device against falling on the correct edge, not the screen that is.

Further, cases or covers that fail to protect the touch screen on dropping are badly designed.

Also, eventually sand and dust will creep between the rubber and the material it is supposed to protect.

So you trade scratches and wearing of that beautiful, precious and reportedly clear coated polycarbonate for some falling protection, anti slip function and loss of potential female contacts, normally attracted like wasps to a honey pot by the look of a naked N9.

And you know they have to come within very intimate range to doublecheck if you are not one of those impotent Lumia 800 carrying lozers.

Not using the cover is a matter of principle: phones that need it to protect from simple dropping damage are badly designed IMO.

I thought the "beautiful industrial design" (quote Egrllop) was the reason for this phone having such an impractical slim shape not fitting all the top hardware including a better camera or HDMI, or even keyboard.

Why then cover the "sexy" (to some) thing and hide its asset?

‘The polycarbonate uni-body design of the N9 gives it godlike beauty and sexiness, which has captured eyes all around the world. The polycarbonate body is not painted, it is the color of the material itself so you don’t have to worry about loss of paint as the years pass by. Very sensible material to choose for a device that is likely to wear its beauty for years to come.’

Hah ha ha I guess the GUY who wrote the above phrases has such sweaty sticky fingers that his N9 -if he still uses one- must now look like it has dropped in molecular alien acid.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Pretoria, South Africa
I can also confirm that there is a paint layer on the black. I visited a N9 booth at the end of January at my local mall where there were two promotional girls giving a demo of the phone.

The edges on the surface of one of the N9's was chipped away. The other which I thought was a white was actually wrapped in a skin.

I googled it afterward and couldnt find any information regarding the N9 having a coating of paint... but yet I saw it firsthand. When I asked the girl about it at the time she mentioned that customers threw it and basically tested to see how much abuse the phone could take, nothing about the paint. The gorilla glass also has some scratches.

That was a black phone, I'm not certain about the other colours. My opinion is that the phones do have a paint layer but its the same colour as the polycarbonate, so if scratched you will still see the same colour underneath. The white which I have is the exception as I think it has a clear coat.

Last edited by Nosph3ratu; 2012-03-06 at 12:03.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Maybe it's the same as with plastic Sunglasses when you sweat alot.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mämo View Post
Put a magnet on it, you'll see.

I just did. Nothing.

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada
I just ordered these !

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_3280wt_1141

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_3033wt_1018

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_3319wt_1043

On hearing u guys out - AND for the love of God [my N9s!] - I just ordered these on ebay.

Qorax

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qorax View Post
On hearing u guys out - AND for the love of God [my N9s!] - I just ordered these on ebay.
And so fear finds its way into the mind

So, has anyone experienced this apparent paint flaking on a Finland made N9, or on another colour other than Black?

Just got around to ordering another N9(3rd time lucky for me as other two had to be returned), this time in White, but pretty sure it's going to be a Made in China and I'm now wondering oncce again if there could be something in this "Made in.... " debate after all.