Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by z2n View Post
For a password manager, I highly recommend keepass. There are Maemo, Windows, and Linux (desktop) versions. The Maemo version is only really usable with an N810, since Qt for Maemo doesn't support the Hildon on-screen keyboard yet.

See http://qt4.garage.maemo.org/dists/ch...rmel/keepassx/
Ok, I've tried to install the .deb package at the link you provided, but I'm getting an app mgr error during installation "Unable to install keepassx. Incompatible application package." Is there a dependency I need first? I can't find any readme docs for the Maemo version.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
I'm using pwsafe (Password Safe) on my n800 with OS2008. It's not the prettiest application, and the interface isn't very user friendly, but it does the job and is hildonized.

On the WinXP side, I'm using Password Gorilla. It's available for Windows, MacOSX, and Linux. It reads databases created by Password Safe AND has an option (Manage->Database Preferences...->Uncheck "Use Password Safe 3 format") to save databases in the older (v2) format of Password Safe. This is important because the n800 version doesn't read v3 of Password Safe databases.

The Following User Says Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Having tried pwsafe (Password Safe) and gpasman personal password manager, I prefer gpasman. Password Safe was clunky, wouldn't always open its folders for me. gpasman has been smoother.

I wish there were a password-protectable macro-text-writer like TypeItIn, which I use in Windows, not just for passwords but for form-fillling (name, address, credit card numbers, ...), sentences I want to re-use, etc. But you can't always get what you want.

If gpasman or another password-safe type program could stay "always on top" until closed, that would help.

There's also gringotts: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/gringotts/
An encrypted notetaking utility. It's avaible on OS2008 and most Linux distro, however I don't think there's a Win version

Originally Posted by speednut View Post
Ok, I've tried to install the .deb package at the link you provided, but I'm getting an app mgr error during installation "Unable to install keepassx. Incompatible application package." Is there a dependency I need first? I can't find any readme docs for the Maemo version.
Yes, keepass has dependencies on the Qt4 libraries. The ".deb" package should--but probably does not--list the dependencies in such a way that they will be installed automagically.

If not, follow the "Click to Install" link on the Qt4 Maemo garage page at http://qt4.garage.maemo.org/.

Originally Posted by z2n View Post
Yes, keepass has dependencies on the Qt4 libraries. The ".deb" package should--but probably does not--list the dependencies in such a way that they will be installed automagically.

If not, follow the "Click to Install" link on the Qt4 Maemo garage page at http://qt4.garage.maemo.org/.
Wow, the install process for keepass is certainly different than other maemo apps I've installed.

So I visited the link you gave and clicked the green arrow to "to add Maemo Qt4 repository in your applications manager". So this created a catalog, then refreshed. Nothing else was installed. Read forum info and followed a suggestion to "sudo gainroot", then "apt-get install keepassx" at a X-Term. This actually went and retrieved, then installed all the Qt4 dependencies and also fetched the keepass app. Install was successful, but no app icon was installed into the app launcher. I had to launch it from the X-Term "/usr/bin/keepass &". Weird.

I'm suspecting that I'm making things more complicated than they need to be. I opened the app mgr, then "browse installable apps" -> All. Scrolled down to "SpeedCrunch" as it's another Qt4 app and installed directly from the app mgr. No install issues. I can now find both SpeedCrunch and Keepassx launcher icons in the Extras folder.

I'm going to redo the entire install and see where I went wrong, then update here. Thanks z2n for the goto!

Update: It's fun attempting to find the Qt4 dependency packages that were auto-installed so they could be "apt-get remove *". Nonetheless, removed SpeedCrunch, Keepassx, and the Qt4 core, then the catalog. Started by installing the catalog fresh, then doing an app manager update. The app mgr installable apps only listed SpeedCrunch. Keepassx was not to be found. Installed again from the CLI and again, no launch icon installed. Installed SpeedCrunch and the Keepassx launch icon also appeared. App mgr "show installed applications" only shows SpeedCrunch, not Keepassx.

Keepassx looks like it could be a winner, but the windows are too large to enter data, UI buttons I'm assuming that are on the window bottom are not visible ("ok", "cancel", etc). I've probably buggered something up, time to search...

Last edited by speednut; 2008-03-06 at 23:49.

Hmm, looks like I'm seeing the same issues with KeePass as z2n is reporting with KDEPIMPI elsewhere in this site. Both look like outstanding applications just needing some developers to finish the porting. I only wish I had programming skills to contribute.

With Nokia acquiring TrollTech, will this help with the Qt4 porting activities?

Speednut--I'm replying wicked late, but I've been trying to get KeePass rolling on my Maemo device for a while, to no avail. When I tried to install KeePass from file, as you did, I encountered missing packages (libqt4-core, libqt4-gui). I tried the apt-get approach, and after executing the command was returned back to "$" prompt. So, I should have been successful, no? I wasn't.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could talk me through the steps that worked. I know it's been a year, and KeePass might be passe and now you're into flying cars...or just waiting on Fremantle...but it would be a major thing to be able to run it.

Thanks much!

Originally Posted by speednut View Post
So I visited the link you gave and clicked the green arrow to "to add Maemo Qt4 repository in your applications manager". So this created a catalog, then refreshed. Nothing else was installed. Read forum info and followed a suggestion to "sudo gainroot", then "apt-get install keepassx" at a X-Term. This actually went and retrieved, then installed all the Qt4 dependencies and also fetched the keepass app. Install was successful, but no app icon was installed into the app launcher. I had to launch it from the X-Term "/usr/bin/keepass &". Weird.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Any update on the progress of KeePass? I have hundreds of passwords already on KeePassX on my desktop and was hopping that I could just copy the data and key file over to the N900.

Alternatively, it would be nice if Password Safe could import exported KeePass text files.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2009-12-28 at 20:19.

trustme can import text files, but i'm using it in os2008.