Notices

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The accelerometer precision may be useful in some games but not in this particular case. Seriously, this doesn't work.
I respectfully disagree, from the standpoint of a quick-porting solution for apps tailored for linux-desktop resolutions. It's not ideal, no, but it is faster than re-developing an app specifically for the small screen. This can be used as a quick-and-dirty porting solution for apps that are being fully ported, and potentially opens the app library up greatly. I'll leave it at that.

I appreciate your input!

}:^)~

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Turkiye
that would awesome to use flstudio on a maemo device
yesterday i installed debian beta3 onto my n810, and im trying to install lmms these days

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
OKay so whats the next step, I can start making some mock ups on an 800x480 res if that helps? Do we have any developers who could help out/are interested?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I think you've found that thing you want for your device. Cool. Press on, Joshua.maverick. Its the only way to get 'er done.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Let's call it maemo-studio. I'll start designing some mock ups, we need to solidify the requirements of the project though.

1. Pattern Step sequencer, where users can add channels, and load samples.
2. Playlist to arrange the patterns

what else is integral in a basic sampler?

Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
OKay so whats the next step, I can start making some mock ups on an 800x480 res if that helps? Do we have any developers who could help out/are interested?
A'ight I just posted those links without background information. I have used Dyne:Bolic live CD in early 2000s for Linux audio development, and provided support to users who used this live CD (complete 'technoobs'; not meant as offense).

Here is some: there are Linux distributions, even live CDs/DVDs, which you can boot and get a full environment for creating artwork. Isn't limited to only audio.

Once you used these applications and see which ones are good and which ones aren't you can check their dependencies and check if there is a Debian/ARM(EL) port available. If yes, chances are software will compile on sbox and run on Maemo.

Meanwhile, if you found functionality good, you need to think of the following: will this application run OK on Maemo 5 with N900? Think of screen size, input methods, resources available. Sometimes the only way to know this is practice ie. run the program on N900.

I listed a few quality GTK and Qt to give you an idea of how these programs are optimized for mouse usage while at the same time exciting you about Linux/x86-32 audio development. Same for list of Linux audio applications.

Linuxmusicians might be a good platform. I don't know. You need mindshare, but take into account most Linux users do not run Maemo 5 on Nokia N900 while wanting to do audio development on the device. Nevermind finger touch UI for that purpose. Entire new reality! Although some may have seen some other platforms doing this.

The OpenMoko list is a different beast: it shows us which applications are touch friendly right now.

Good luck!!

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Let's call it maemo-studio. I'll start designing some mock ups, we need to solidify the requirements of the project though.

1. Pattern Step sequencer, where users can add channels, and load samples.
2. Playlist to arrange the patterns

what else is integral in a basic sampler?
velocity and volume envelope, trigger mode (is the sample polyphonic or not? Does a retrigger stop the last trigger or play alongside it?) Attack, Release, Sustain, Decay... Midi editor, metronome, bpm detector, time slice,

all I can think of off my head.

Cut(off), Res(onance), LPF, BPF, HPF.

MIDI editor on device without MIDI interface... it still doesn't make much sense...

I think that the basic programs (besides games of course) that the community should try to provide to maemo 5 should be open office, a good video editor, a photo editor, a cad program and a music studio. Without these applications the all conversation of pocket computers doesn’t make much sense.

Tags
audio, fl studio