Notices

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
The problem is not with skype on the n900. Nokia can't make skype upgrade their Mac/Linux clients.
Of course not, they shouldn't have to. If the N900 skype module wasn't so limited, it would be able to talk to older Mac/Linux clients exactly as the windows client does.

Imagine if MS Word 2007 had only read & written .docx files and not been backwards-compatible with the .doc format. Cries of "Microsoft can't make anyone upgrade" or "problem isn't with Word 2007" would have sounded a little lame.

There will probably be financial or technical reasons why the N900 client is so limited in its compatibility (as I've speculated) but we haven't been told them.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vienna / Austria
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
Would have been nice if the older (VP7?) codec had been included on the N900 version.

As that's the blindingly obvious thing to do, I'd assume that the N900 didn't have the CPU horsepower to do realtime VP7 encode/decode, whereas H.264 can be offloaded to hardware.

Also the proprietary VP7 has traditionally been Linux-hostile, but with video calling on the newer Linux skype client I doubt that was the obstacle.
Oh what a pity!
So we have to wait for a "Skype update" to solve the problem?

Most of my friends and all my family is using Skype for Linux (some Skype for Mac) to skip from painful Windows PC life...
Now Windows strikes back!

Can anyone tell me in general why a Linux Smartphone's functions are so much a problem to work on a Linux PC?
Same Problem we have with Nokia Maps Updater, Nokia Suite, and so on. Maybe Nokia does not think enough Linux-minded?

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
Is it just me or is the front facing camera really dark? I'm in a classroom and I just tried a sample call to see what the quality looked like and it was really dark. I'm in a well-light room, so I'm wondering if its just me...

I guess it doesn't like fluorescent lights or the sun. When I'm inside the building its really dark, so on break I tried it outside and the screen was literally white-washed. I thought Nokia would have the driver issues(or whatever the problem is) solved by now with the official support of Skype video. I'm a little disappointed that its so touchy with lighting.

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Last edited by The Arsonist; 2010-06-02 at 14:13.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Miami,USA
I updated my skype on laptop to 4.2V tried to make video call with my N900 but it didnt work the camera does not load on the pc even i see my self on the phone i tried to play the cam on the laptop to display on phone but also didn't work
did anybody experince that?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vulcan
@DeaTHY
I'm having the same problem here.

i can't seem to get video from skype at all! but i see myself in the call, so obviously my camera is working. what what is going on?

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
I'm also having the same problem as the previous 3 posters. I can see myself when making the video call, but the person on the other end doesn't even recieve a request(I made a testing Account to make sure I had an up-to-date client, so no issue there). Has anyone had any CONSISTENT success with this update?

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

I also tried Skype video this weekend with my parents, who have the most recent Windoze version. Didn't work. I did get video from Dad, but it was stuck on a single frame so useless. At their end, they said their skype client said "initialising video" the whole session. I could see myself though and the image wasn't all green like in the mirror app.

I should mention that they had initiated the session.

Useless, so I switched to my Linux desktop with an ancient version of Skype and no problem.

Originally Posted by mece View Post
in a contact with skype, click skype video call instead of skype call
sent you an authorization request via skype. thx for all the info in this thread. i couldnt find this thread when i was searching but i am glad you linkedd it to the other thread thx again!

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
go online (via control panel) and then select a contact for whom you have skype contact details. Scroll down to bottom of contact options - "skype call" will be shown as usual. "Skype Video call" should now also be an option, right underneath.
how does one go online via control pane?

Tags
bada rox