Well here's the bad news we've all been dreading about the Jolla phones:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...ngry-birds.htm

"It is true that we have not heard too much from Open Moko for quite some time. But one has to remember that Jolla's main goal is not to create an open source phone. We aim to create a competitive smartphone almost everybody would want for themselves," Hurmola said.
"The phone will be a smartphone for mass market. It will not be a tech phone intended for Linux hackers. Consumers are not able to hack the kernel or flash new software for the device."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
First of all, sure, boring. secondly , we dont need a new thread for this, but now that we have we can use it. Not so strange. Tizen and jolla can't be more open than other OS like maemo or meego. Why? I don't even care to anwser this again.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
let's be honest here, shall we?
Maemo (MeeGo blabla...) never was profitable
N9 may have scratched it if it had been marketed aggressively enough, indeed, certainly with Nitdroid, but... how would that have looked, claiming they don't want to become another "Android OEM" maker and having (one of) their most successful device of the moment... mostly be used under Android
without Flop / Fart's burning hara-kiri NOKIA would have been able to go on supporting Maemo

the only reason Android is so successful is because it is so open.
the only reason i can be so open is because Google can afford to give it away.

again see opening remark, no way a startup will be able to sustain that business model.
period
end of discussion
end of dream...

open source is not a viable business model
never has been, never will be.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Curitiba-PR . Brasil
-
-
why the N9 is a whitefly with one blue eye and one green ...a rarity
-

Originally Posted by Rogatti View Post
-
-
why the N9 is a whitefly with one blue eye and one green ...a rarity
-
did they make a green one after all ?!?
thus, a 2nd red / magenta eye

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
let's be honest here, shall we?
Maemo (MeeGo blabla...) never was profitable
N9 may have scratched it if it had been marketed aggressively enough, indeed, certainly with Nitdroid, but... how would that have looked, claiming they don't want to become another "Android OEM" maker and having (one of) their most successful device of the moment... mostly be used under Android
without Flop / Fart's burning hara-kiri NOKIA would have been able to go on supporting Maemo

the only reason Android is so successful is because it is so open.
the only reason i can be so open is because Google can afford to give it away.

again see opening remark, no way a startup will be able to sustain that business model.
period
end of discussion
end of dream...

open source is not a viable business model
never has been, never will be.
I agree with the open source not being viable business model.

Though there was comment from Jolla that more than 200 000 phones would keep them alive, i don't see that impossible if the product will be actually good

What gives me some hope about Jolla is that these people at least seem to understand the market and know what it needs to get phone out to the market.
Proof of that would be if they truly could release device before years end, something that would be quite mind boggling for company like this.

If they can nurse the economy, community and can actually give us something amazing they might have niche covered. There's some truth on what the CEO said that the hardware is easy these days as most of the manufacturers just go shopping for the chips.
Jolla wont of course ever have things like PureView or custom chips like Samsung.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
The orginal Jolla thread has already degenarated into 100 or pages about the same matter. Lively discussion about semantics of few words in interviews, both fanboism and hatred before any product and the whole nine yards of convoluted interwebs miscommunication.

No need for a new thread.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I agree with the open source not being viable business model.

Though there was comment from Jolla that more than 200 000 phones would keep them alive, i don't see that impossible if the product will be actually good

What gives me some hope about Jolla is that these people at least seem to understand the market and know what it needs to get phone out to the market.
Proof of that would be if they truly could release device before years end, something that would be quite mind boggling for company like this.

If they can nurse the economy, community and can actually give us something amazing they might have niche covered. There's some truth on what the CEO said that the hardware is easy these days as most of the manufacturers just go shopping for the chips.
Jolla wont of course ever have things like PureView or custom chips like Samsung.
true!
i was thinking in terms of "manufacturer" with factory, design dptmt, Q&A, Marketing & Sales and tutti quanti
if they are just making a design based on an Open Source OS...
that's roughly what Google was doing with their Nexus, right?
and now they bought Motorola...
in fact the FOSS based design seems the only way to go for a startup indeed
only... will "it" happen again?

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
The orginal Jolla thread has already degenarated into 100 or pages about the same matter. Lively discussion about semantics of few words in interviews, both fanboism and hatred before any product and the whole nine yards of convoluted interwebs miscommunication.

No need for a new thread.
feel free... not to post

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I think the wording is not entirely clear. "consumers are not able to ..." could mean "average consumer does not know how to ..." (meaning ultimately "they will not be required to know how to ...")

Or of course it could mean "we will not allow them to ..."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, misunderstand, notespecsorgtfo, note_spec_only, open_ur_speccs, specc is the, troll ericsson, typical_specc