Notices

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, I just came across this thread and haven't looked further.
Perfect... can I use this as an example?

Join my new club!

Last edited by technut; 2007-12-20 at 06:05.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Join my new club
You are a busy boy, aren't you?

Actually I'm quite disappointed with the Wayfinder. I've been using Navicore for a week or so and I liked it. YEsterday I tried Wayfinder and it wanted me to turn right under a bridge and led me on silly routes... Maybe I was just on a wrong way and Navicore would have done the same but... For the first try, I don't like this software!

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The Wayfinder stance on the Navicore licence is stated here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...958#post111958

Goods news for those of us who have already purchased Navicore. Now i don't have to feel fed up.

Navicore worked really well and I find criticisms of Wayfinder worrying. I shall find out for myself soon enough.

We'll I'd just like to get the new Wayfinder running. I've just tried installing it on my new N810.

I just purchased the new Wayfinder Navicore that just became available a few days ago. I chose to download it to my PC and use their PC based install facility to load it on my N810. First of all, the download took something like 11+ hours. It was downloading (creeping) at something like 48k baud. The download was 1.4GB.

First I upgraded to OS2008 2.2007.50-2 - required for the new wayfinder - which went fairly smoothly, although after a backup restore I still had to re-install several apps.

I decided to place the Nav files on my internal memory card, which already had the normal map files on it, so I (probably foolishly) uninstalled the std map app, and deleted the map files already on the internal drive. I now had 1.9gb free. I hooked up my usb to the N810 and I ran Wayfinder's Windows XP based Nokia install application. It successfully copied the files to my N810's internal mc.

I then went to the N810 application manager and installed Navicore from the .deb file that was on the imc. It installed successfully. The Navicore desktop applet even showed up. HOWEVER, when I tried to execute Navicore, "Navicore loading..." appears for about 5 seconds then simply disappears with no Navicore running. Using xterm and executing the "top" command, confirms it is not running.

So I'm stuck. I sent a web page form e-mail to support. I'd like to phone them but they won't let you do that without a license key. Although I got purchase confirmation e-mails, I've not yet received a license key, so I can't do this. Additionally, it turns out that to send support an e-mail, you have to be sure your're on the correct support mail page. The "main" support mail page doesn't list the N770/N8X0 devices. You have to browse about a bit.

Its becoming a real PITA. Just thought I'd relate my fun. Will be interesting to see it if get a response or solution.

Last edited by reefdiver; 2007-12-24 at 06:37.

Hm, what was the name of the deb file? It seems to me that you installed the navigation programm for OS2007 (then from navicore), which can't work in OS2008. What is it called in the menu, which name and version shows the programm-manager? In the programm-manager and the menu it has to be "map" and the version should be 2.2.6.377-1.

Originally Posted by Nikem View Post
Hm, what was the name of the deb file? It seems to me that you installed the navigation programm for OS2007 (then from navicore), which can't work in OS2008. What is it called in the menu, which name and version shows the programm-manager? In the programm-manager and the menu it has to be "map" and the version should be 2.2.6.377-1.
--- Lovely, after following the wayfinder home page link to the "new" N810 software, to the shop, to purchase, to download of the North American edition - with N810 / OS2008 always mentioned - Application Manager says my version is 2.2.1.62 which might explain why it won't run.

I've logged in to Wayfinder, looked at my order, and rechecked the downloads from there - all always mention N810/OS2008. I don't know what I might have done wrong. Yep - I upgraded my N810 to v2.2007.50-2 (from the default .42-18 IIRC).

A least I found my pdf with my license key so I can use the support webform mail. Unfortunately, the link to provide me with support phone #'s won't accept my license key so I'll have to wait for them to respond to webform mail. I'm getting really annoyed. I'd like to think I've just done something stupid...