Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I got me a nice old workstation (x86) and want to slap Linux on it for Maemo5 SDK/Cross Compiler. Which Linux should I use? Debian, or ubuntu, or another one? I used to be slackware fan but atm I dont have any Linux box...

Thanks

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Ubuntu is more user-friendly plus there's already scratchbox environments pre-made using ubuntu. However if you don't mind working with command line and getting things to work, etc. Debian may also suit you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
Ubuntu is more user-friendly plus there's already scratchbox environments pre-made using ubuntu. However if you don't mind working with command line and getting things to work, etc. Debian may also suit you.
I like debian, and use it on a PC, but it can be more work to set up than ubuntu - which has great support for all sorts of hardware, with lots of drivers. I have installed ubuntu on several PC's, laptops & one netbook between 10 & 1 year old and never had a problem.

Mish.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
Are those the ubuntu images nokia is hosting?

Linux Mint is the one I'm currently recommending. Personally, I'd favour the Linux Mint Debian Edition because I actually use Mepis which is Debin based and compatible. As is LMDE.

Fedora.
It has well matured enforcing SElinux and is therefore more secure.
Also it uses LSB-standardized RPM-packet management, like Meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Fedora.
It has well matured enforcing SElinux and is therefore more secure.
Also it uses LSB-standardized RPM-packet management, like Meego.
It will be a bit of a pain getting the deb repositories for the Maemo SDK working with it though. Doesn't mean you couldn't get the SDK running on it, it'll just be more hassle to set up than a Debian/Ubuntu based distro.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
For this one thing, they may work the same... Overally though, ubutnut sucks... Use Debian.

With no doubt, Debian is the best OS.

Things like Ubuntu are Debian's children, with a layer/layers of crap on them, which sometimes make them totally different.

Fedora and Ubuntu are out there, so that Red Hat and Debian would get better... So I suggest you don't use them at all.

I saw something about SELinux... Actually, I'm using that too... Those are things you can add to any distro which has a new kernel. But you can't change the basic architecture of a distro.

Last edited by AMLJ; 2011-02-20 at 11:32.

Originally Posted by AMLJ View Post
I saw something about SELinux... Actually, I'm using that too... Those are things you can add to any distro which has a new kernel. But you can't change the basic architecture of a distro.
SELinux can be pain in a *** if it is not well integrated and matured in the OS. I've followed Fedora-versions a long time, and it took them years to get SELinux working. It is not just installing it on some distro, because all the desktop and other applications have to be SELinux aware and if 3rd party developers do not care about SELinux there is always problems and usually for esxample in Ubuntu SELinux is disabled because it causes that much problems. In Fedora SELinux really works.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
Are those the ubuntu images nokia is hosting?
Yes from here: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post: