Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Thanks, I couldn't put into words, but that's exactly how I feel. And for me, it just keeps getting better, all the time! That has been true for all my Maemo devices, but this one definitely goes to 11. You just can't say that about too many persons, places or things.
Thanks. Exactly. The N900 is like an AI. It developes and thinks all the time - no matter what you do, where you are, what you think. As Christopher Lambert said in the first Mortal Kombat movie: "Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!"

Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Thanks. Exactly. The N900 is like an AI. It developes and thinks all the time - no matter what you do, where you are, what you think. As Christopher Lambert said in the first Mortal Kombat movie: "Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!"
To paraphrase Jack Nicholson, "It makes me want to be a better programmer."

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
Originally Posted by 77h View Post
Hi Starman,
the n900 is many things at the same time... some users will find some things extremely useful - other users will prefer other features.

What is useful to me

a) voip application (i am not speaking about skype) but the possibility to use real voip. This is interesting for me because I make a lot of long distance calls and travel a lot. Everywhere I have WIFI and even where I have 3G i can use the VOIP (or SIP) calling to call friends almost free: Here is an example how to set up sip using voipcheap

b) a scond strong point as mentioned above is you can see the REAL internet... you do not have to refer to mobile pages where flash (embedded videos like youtube or vimeo) is disabled.

Also if you look at this screen comparison you will see that you see much more with the n900.

c) OPEN: my dad has the 3gs and i wanted to "free" his phone so that he can use a different sim on holiday. We needed to do a jailbreak and i almost bricked the phone (in fact I did brick it but I got help unbricking and jailbreaking it. With the n900 you don't need to jailbreak because it is OPEN to do whatever you like to do. It is your device. You own it

d) I have a popcorn hour in my home.. it has the possibility to offer videos and music to other devices via my network. The N900 can be plugged in to the bedroom TV and I can watch movies that are on my Popcorn Hour in the living room. (via wifi) If travelling I can also put movies on the phone directly and watch them on the great screen in the plane or even connect the phone to the TV in the hotel room...

I have limited this list to my favourite 4 but there are many more of my favourites... Hope it helps a little
Hi, But sorry but that does not show me how to set up my voipcheap on my n900 thru sip????
how have you set up voipcheap on your n900 please?
or can anyone else suggest how i set up voipcheap? or would waiting for FRING be a better option?

Last edited by neotalk; 2010-01-31 at 14:18.

The Maemo 5 browser is hands down the best on any mobile device (believe me, I have tried them all). So, even if most of what N900 has to offer are also offered by other devices and platform, at least no one can compete with the browser for now.

Also, as has been mentioned, the community here alone makes Maemo a platform with endless potential.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Can anyone provide any feedback or links to some cool n900 stuff that is unique to the device?
Running old games from Windows via DOSBox?
Running old games via scummvm?

Reading books using FBReader with a screen that is much better than the iPhone?

MaemoMapper, and using it with a variety of types of maps. When I recently went to Wales for the weekend, I had maps and satellite photography downloaded before I left so I didn't have to worry about signal along the coastal paths. As we were out walking the rain rolled in faster than expected, and I steered us onto the runways of a disused military airport so we could avoid the increasingly deep mud and get back to the car more quiickly.

FMTransmitter -- Sending the audio of YouTube videos through the car's stereo system without using a cable. Audio books for free, essentially, with all sorts of content available. No 3G data costs or dropped signal as I had downloaded these over WiFi at home using @Scene, an offline YouTube client.

Orrey -- used it last night to confirm that the bright thing the sky was indeed Mars, but that the other bright lights nearby were stars in specific constellations. This was with the Planet Compass function.

Streamed Spotify to my N900 using yaspot and qtify. A million song library for £10/month that doesn't take up any shelf space? Brilliant!

mwtube -- OK, not unique, but very handy for me. A dedicated and fast app showing me the status of the London Underground system that I commute on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gadgetChris View Post
I've a 'regular' phone and have still a Palm TX as PDA.
You should check out the Garnet Palm Pilot emulator. You can bring any Palm apps that you can't live without straigh across.

• I only use the phone for local calls and limit my overseas calls to when at home (with vyke.com!)
  • The Palm has my passwords, calendar, notes and shopping list.
  • Occasionally I listen to some music on the Palm.
  • Sign up for a skype account (don't use an underscore in your username), and buy a bit of credit to "skype out". You can then make international calls on the go to anyone you now call.
  • Passwords -> pwsafe. Calendar -> built in, or GPE calendar, shopping list -> xournal or maepad.
  • Music: Your MP3s will come right across. You can listen to last.fm or Pandora in the web browser.

Would I want to browse the web on a phone screen? Maybe when I'm on the can, but it seems really small?! (I still read without glasses...) How long can you read, when browsing through 3.5" ?
I do web browsing on the N900, an iPod touch, and various PC web browsers when at home--so it is usable even when you have the option. For longer sessions, I use the big screen and the full size keyboard, as you'd expect.

As far as readability, it depends a bit on the webite. But with the new firmware (51-1) you get a partially complete portrait mode browsing as well, so you have two different viewports to try and get the sizing right. There's also the menu setting of "text:large", but I don't use that myself. For this site, when I read it on the N900, I us the control panel and set it to "minimalist-dark" and read in portrait mode.

All in all it seems to me $600+ for an all-in-one gadget is steep. I don't see a need to be always connected...
Have you yet been always connected? It grows on you.

Honestly, part of the reason I have it is my commuting pattern -- the train and tube journey into London isn't quick, and I like to web surf and send emails on the move. If I still had a 20 minute drive to work I'd not need it for surfing or email :-), but I'd still want it for streaming music and streaming Internet radio. I often listen to French news, and I'd definitely do this on commute that included driving.

Would it be something for me, or should I just wait till my TX really dies, before joining the smart phone world?
I think you'll find the always connected aspect something you wish you'd grabbed earlier if you wait. When I get to a restaurant half an hour earlier than my wife (who left work late) I can login to my computer at home via the ADSL connection, and start a download. Check my email. Use skype to call family back in the US. Pull up a copy of Google maps showing traffic, and tell her that she'd be better getting of an exit early as the next junction appears to be a worse mess than normal.. All this regardless of whether the place has a WiFi access point...

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by neotalk View Post
Hi, But sorry but that does not show me how to set up my voipcheap on my n900 thru sip????
or can anyone else suggest how i set up voipcheap? or would waiting for FRING be a better option?
Try taking a look at this: http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba/VoIP

Also try google searches with these settings:
  • site:talk.maemo.org SIP
  • site:wiki.maemo.org SIP

Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
FMTransmitter -- Sending the audio of YouTube videos through the car's stereo system without using a cable. Audio books for free, essentially, with all sorts of content available. No 3G data costs or dropped signal as I had downloaded these over WiFi at home using @Scene, an offline YouTube client.
Followup needed on this one. When you hook up a power cable, FM transmission is turned down/off due to legal restrictions on FM transmission. Check out FM Boost as a technical workaround, but be aware that you might be annoying other cars near you by using too intense a signal.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bangkok
Originally Posted by neotalk View Post

To set up your voipcheap account with your n900...

Address: sip.yourvoipcheapaccountname@voipcheap.com
Password: xxx
User Name: yourvoipcheapaccountname

Done.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlacombe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Can anyone provide any feedback or links to some cool n900 stuff that is unique to the device?
The TV-OUT is pretty awesome - I dont think you will find that in most cellphones

also try visiting your favorite radio station's website and see if they stream their radio live!

I think you would be pleasantly surprised that Most do!!!

Thanks to the Adobe Flash Plug-in Tons of online radio stations are no streamable with out a need for an app and the quality is better than any FM Radio I've ever hear!!!

Better yet the radio will work anywhere you have 3G - No need for satellite radio - use the FM TRANSMITTER and you have New York City Radio stations when your in Miami and vice versa!!!

Their are more but here are two features that no phone on the market really have.