Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Speak for yourself. Perhaps it's a knack you develop but I've been known to switch off from others for hours on trains. Some of my best work has been coding on long train journeys, especially if there's no wifi to interrupt.
As it happens I did some pretty ground-breaking work for the first version of ubiboot while travelling by train from Helsinki to Oulu.
(January 2013 if I remember correctly...)

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
As it happens I did some pretty ground-breaking work for the first version of ubiboot while travelling by train from Helsinki to Oulu.
(January 2013 if I remember correctly...)
Trains just happen to be the type of place where you can actually focus on something

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Apple really is making every effort to integrate their iPod / iPhone / iPad experience with their OS X experience, and I give them credit for that. But yeah, iOS is its own weird system, not the same as OS X, with different apps and a different UI.

Man, why does it have to be different? Why do I have to give up my desktop applications? (This is a question for Sailfish as well, I guess...)
Has to do with the fact that desktop UI does not work well on smartphone form factors. But I agree, that it is a shame one has to give up desktop applications for something as big as a tablet. At least the option of using them would be nice, besides the optimized tablet apps.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
However, I also don't see any need for the cloud to be sticking its nose into my business if it doesn't need to. I've got plenty of local storage on my desktop machines, and can easily connect my mobile devices to my desktop machines, given that I'm sitting right next to them most of the time...
Agree with that. You should not be forced to use the cloud if you don't want to. There should always be the option of using local sync.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post

A 5" device with a slide-out keyboard and an N950-like slider mechanism would be perfect.
Couldn't someone at Nokia just give the blueprint of N950 to Jolla to fit there Jolla2 Phone into that sliding case? Well, maybe just not actual concern at Jolla at the moment...

So maybe vice versa: Jolla licencing SFOS and Nokia updates the N950 hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by alfredquack View Post
Couldn't someone at Nokia just give the blueprint of N950 to Jolla to fit there Jolla2 Phone into that sliding case? Well, maybe just not actual concern at Jolla at the moment...

So maybe vice versa: Jolla licencing SFOS and Nokia updates the N950 hardware.
Microsoft would own all that - why don't you give them a call and ask them if they would be interested in abandoning their Windows 10 effort to focus on Linux phones with physical keyboards?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
ah, bummer! I thought it would fall back to Nokia next year or so?

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Microsoft would own all that - why don't you give them a call and ask them if they would be interested in abandoning their Windows 10 effort to focus on Linux phones with physical keyboards?
As serious as it sounds; it could be their better shot :P (joking)

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Of course, but a public transport is far from ideal for any mental work. Maybe read a book or listen to some music while commuting?
I just can't imagine doing any serious work that is so noisy and moving etc.
Maybe you can't. For me it's great to focus on something.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Speak for yourself. Perhaps it's a knack you develop but I've been known to switch off from others for hours on trains. Some of my best work has been coding on long train journeys, especially if there's no wifi to interrupt.
Same here. But on a train it's easy, I can just pull out my 13" laptop and do whatever I want. What I miss is the ability to do the same in places which aren't so convenient (eg. tram, bus, metro...)

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
I wonder if the porting to Android devices would have been given more attention and official support in there was no Jolla device to sell. Are there any devices that have every component working in their ports yet? If there was a model where you could get a basic Sailfish OS working with a nice installer, basic apps, full control of your device and more performance without the Android bloat to rejuvenate old devices, then you could attract whoever isn't happy with what Android did for them without asking today.

Then you add a Sailfish store with paid apps, including the current licensed parts like Alien Dalvik and the text prediction, and you could actually make money. It'd be a stronger business model than Cyanogen even. You could open source much more of Sailfish too without worrying about your revenue stream.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
If meego had died there, we would have the same situation we have now: a duopoly. So no difference in there.

If jolla never existed; where would the difference be?

Assuming libhybris would have been created (that is, before the operating system) a hypotetical jolla-like company , would have had better chances by focussing excusively to skip hardware development and focus on existing hw. This would have allowed them to keep costs at a bare minimum, which would have given them more runway,as well as avoiding hyper-hyped underperforming devices.

Sure, perhaps the initial set of HW would have been extremely limited to start with; but most likely enough to attract attention from operators (and perhaps HW vendors), given the high differentiation from the top two.

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2015-11-27 at 21:07.

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device