Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
now that diablo has been released with modest integrated into it, can someone tell me, regarding the new mail sound.... how can i get the sound to play only once per message? ex: the ui-new_email sound is actually "ding" but when a new email is recieved you hear "ding-ding"...the sound plays twice. i like to change the sound and already know how to do that i just want the sound to play only once per email...or honestly , if there are multiple new emails upon checking i would love to have the sound play only once for ALL emails ex: i get 5 new emails and i "ding" only once....not once per message. can someone PLEASE help me on this... i have a wav file of R. Lee Ermey shouting MAIL CALL!!! that i really want to use but if say i get 5 emails...i dont want to hear MAIL CALL!!! 5 times...let alone 10 if the sound plays twice per message.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Geneva,Switzerland
Unable to load 2000+ Gmail on my N800. Is it possible to point the primary storage to Internal memory card instead of Nokia-N800-50-2-0 (device memory)? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
no noise on my end...none zip nada...

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by mathew.chacko View Post
Unable to load 2000+ Gmail on my N800. Is it possible to point the primary storage to Internal memory card instead of Nokia-N800-50-2-0 (device memory)? Thanks in advance.
With the Modest Beta, there were additional configuration settings in the GConf file that weren't available through the Modest "Settings" menu itself.

Find and install the GConf2 editor.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by mathew.chacko View Post
I think there are additional problems other than space. I too have trouble with a large IMAP mailbox but it works fine with smaller accounts. Modest acted more like Outlook (meaning it sucks rocks and CPU on large accounts) while Claws acts more like Thunderbird (meaning that large mailboxes work as well as small ones).

The new version is a big improvement but still buggy in some conditions.

Don't get your hopes up about Modest. The multiple ding issue is a long-standing and well known bug - I reported it myself a few months ago. Bug fixing on Modest is glacially slow. This seems like it should be trivial to fix...

I was hoping that for the inclusion in Diablo, Modest would actually STOP BEING BUGGY - alas, I was wrong.

Martin

The Following User Says Thank You to m_stolle For This Useful Post:
I finally switched back to claws mail. Claws is really not finger friendly, but it works at least.

A pity that former osso mail has gone.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
And I thought I was the only one. I see all these postings about Modest, and while it does handle IMAP folders better than the old e-mail client. There are so many other things it doesn't do, and so many bugs.

I actually put a bug report (or feature request?) for inclusion of S/MIME capability, since the osso-mail had it. I never heard a peep. And much to my surprise and horror I found Diablo shipped out with a still beta Modest and no S/MIME support. Thankfully my entire company didn't change to this, otherwise we'd be like the German police begging for N800's now.

This is sad. I still love Linux, but I'm really starting to wonder about Nokia and this particular device. I realize they can't listen to everyone. But with so many people talking on here, is anyone listening at all?

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
I just went back to claws myself. I can't stand the multiple-pings when mail arrives, and many messages simply weren't showing up when opened.

I know this question is a bit of a deviation from the OP's question, so I hope you don't mind. I'm just not sure my question is worth a new thread.

Anyway, I have installed Diablo on my n800. All seems mostly OK.

But, my Modest email client is having trouble connecting to my gmail smtp server.

I know I have gmail smtp server access set up properly on gmail because I have been using Claws successfully with my gmail account.

I have been very careful to input my account user name and password properly into Modest ( or the now default email client)

I am using Login in the Use secure authentication section
outgoing server is smtp.gmail.com
under secure connection I am using SSL and port 465
I have 'use connection -specific SMTP servers' unchecked

Anybody with more " Modest" experience help me out with being able to send out email using IMAP and Gmail with Modest?

Thanks
Neil