Notices

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Works good, perfect for beginners

I like the idea of this program. I want to show it to my daughter and maybe use it for rapid / ad hoc development needs.But I can't get it to "Run" my projects.

I installed the Windows version and all the Windows dependencies (python, GTK, etc.) as per the instructions on an XP machine. I created a "Hello World" project and hit "Run". I got this error message:

---------------------------
python.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point g_dgettext could not be located in the dynamic link library libglib-2.0-0.dll.
OK

During the GTK installation, I told it to set the PATH variable, but I can see that it didn't. So I did this myself. I went to My Computer / Properties / Advanced / Environmental Variables and added this to the PATH:

C:\Program Files\GTK2-Runtime\bin

This is where libglib-2.0-0.dll is -- I verified this.

Is the space in "Program Files" tripping it up? I didn't install it to the suggested folder, I admit.

I'm guessing this problem wouldn't occur if I installed it in Linux, but I can't always use Linux (alas).

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
Great place to announce this Bryan. I keep hearing you talk about it on the podcast. I downloaded the demo, but then I remembered I have no brain for programming (I have no imagination). Good luck with it though, looks like a great program.

buurmas: Sorry about your troubles man! To be honest getting Python/GTK running under Windows has been a notoriously difficult task for some years now. I'm working on a single installer that will automate that process, but in the mean time, my best recommendation is to uninstall the various python files and re-install following the instructions to the T. It's very, very finicky.

The good news is this: Even if you don't have Python/GTK installed on your Windows PC, you can still build and run the application on your N810, N900, etc.

And thanks for the kind words everyone! This has been a labor of love for quite some time!

Oh, semi-related note:

Version 2.0 Beta 2 for Linux was just released. The big major change is that you can now build Flex/Flash applications as well now (in addition to the Python/GTK ones).

More details on that: http://lunduke.com/?p=1267

Last edited by BryanLunduke; 2010-06-16 at 21:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to BryanLunduke For This Useful Post:
Version 2.0 is officially out for MacOS X, Linux and Windows. And includes some fixes specific to running apps on the N900 and N8x0.

http://www.radicalbreeze.com

Just so everyone knows: Illumination Software Creator is having a "You Name Your Price" sale right now. So if you were on the fence... now might be a good time.

There's also a contest going on. One of the prizes is a donation on the winners behalf of a bulk set of licenses to any school the winner chooses. Helping young nerds is a good thing.

More info here: http://lunduke.com/?p=1437

The Following User Says Thank You to BryanLunduke For This Useful Post:
Just a belated update:

Version 3.0 was released. So now Illumination creates Maemo python/gtk apps... as well as iPhone, iPad and Android apps from a single project without any modifications (other than to basica user interface layout -- button sizing/positioning, etc.).

There are also some new tutorials in the "Learn" section of the website to help people get started.

http://www.radicalbreeze.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BryanLunduke For This Useful Post:
Just a quick update that version 4.1.1 is available.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BryanLunduke For This Useful Post:
Oh wow, why have I never heard that this could be used for creating maemo apps before?

I have stumbled across ISC on many occasions but never really payed that much attention to it. I may have to have a play

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post: