Originally Posted by unuselessj
On Macromedia's website, only Flash Player 7 is available to download for Linux. I would assume this is good indication that version 8 would not come with a new firmware release. If I recall correctly, version 7 is capable of playing flash video.
Even Flash 7 is ok with me if it works

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yes, AFAIK there is no such thing as Flash 8 for PDAs or similar devices.
You may look at system requirements http://www.macromedia.com/software/f...fo/systemreqs/
to get the picture.

However there is at least Flash 7 for PocketPC, see http://www.macromedia.com/mobile/sup...vices/pda.html so in theory it is possible to have flash 7. But having version 6 or 7 probably doesn't make difference. How useful is Flash on N770 anyway?

Last edited by fanoush; 2006-04-12 at 13:27.

Only Flash 7 is currently available for Linux. The head of Flash development at Macromedia has publically stated that there will be no Flash 8 for Linux. Instead, they will wait for Flash 8.5 to be released for Windows/Mac and then port that to Linux. There is no indication on when Flash 8.5 will be out, but it is sooner rather than later, as the whole excuse is that there is such a short timespan between 8.0 and 8.5 that it wasn't worth the effort to port 8.0 when they could leap straight to 8.5. I don't buy it personally, especially as the Mac version is essentially a UNIX version, but there you go, that's closed source for ya.

John.

"how usefull is it anyways?" - umm, last time i checked nokia was marketing this device as an INTERNET tablet. that means it should do everything, say, a pc with IE or FF with all olugins.
just my 2 cents.

Considering how many flash advertisements abuse even my PC's CPU, I think I'd almost prefer a Nokia 770 without flash support at all (of course, I can always turn it off).

Personally, I wish there was something like FlashBlock so that I could only view flash by proactive choice (does this exist for Opera?).

You can achieve a similar result with Privoxy.

Originally Posted by Coolty
"how usefull is it anyways?" - umm, last time i checked nokia was marketing this device as an INTERNET tablet. that means it should do everything, say, a pc with IE or FF with all olugins.
just my 2 cents.
in the case you don't know, this tablet runs LINUX, not windows!! so we have to wait that macromedia release flash version 8 or greater AND compile it for arm processors...

Originally Posted by odysseus
don't buy it personally, especially as the Mac version is essentially a UNIX version, but there you go, that's closed source for ya.
The stuff underneath OS X is UNIX, and there are UNIX APIs, but there are also MacOS X APIs which are really quite, quite different from Linux and traditional UNIX APIs. Graphics, sound, timing and multimedia are where the APIs will be quite different.

The UNIX underpinnings of OS X make it easier for traditional UNIX stuff to run on OS X, but they really don't mean that OS X apps can easily be ported to other UNIX flavours.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Exeter, UK
Well, I just visited a Flash 8 site (www.armyoneverest.mod.uk) and got redirected to a Linux Flash 8 download site. 1mb tar file. Can someone who isn't running a marathon this weekend try it and report back?

Originally Posted by andygates
Well, I just visited a Flash 8 site (www.armyoneverest.mod.uk) and got redirected to a Linux Flash 8 download site. 1mb tar file. Can someone who isn't running a marathon this weekend try it and report back?
It's not a Linux Flash 8. If you look under the Version, it says 7.0.63