Active Topics

Notices

Previously I was able to send and recieve emails via my 3 Email account, however recently I have started to receive a 'SMTP Authentication Failed. Check user name and password or that you have access to smtp.three.com.au' error when sending (I can still recieve emails OK. I have deleted the account and remade. I have tried logging into Three's webmail using the same U/Name and password and it works fine (and I can send emails from webmail). Hotmail sends and receives fine. Port number is 25 for outgoing and Secure authentication and Secure connection are both 'none'.

Three helpdesk won't assist as n900 is a non supported. Anyone have the same issue? Any tips?

have you tried using any mail client ie. mozilla thunderbird on PC, and see if SMTP accept your username/password/auth method

Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Three helpdesk won't assist as n900 is a non supported. Anyone have the same issue? Any tips?
that's as far you can get from a customer call. they (most of them) don't know anything beyond what's told and taught in the training
as in fact all mail clients are basically the same. just ask them what is the SMTP settings for any phone they "support", and improvise them on your N900

The Following User Says Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Ive looked there is no other smtp settings, its just smtp.three.com.au

You might wanna try ticking authentication required

Hi folks - thanks for the replies. Figaro: thanks for the tip re setting up on a PC mail client. I had the same problem, which tells me it is a Three thing and not the phone. I thought it might be wifi vs the Three 3G connection, but the 3G connection has the same issue. If the password works on webmail, how can it not work in a client???

Also, amending the authentication makes no difference.

Originally Posted by Egg View Post
Hi folks - thanks for the replies. Figaro: thanks for the tip re setting up on a PC mail client. I had the same problem, which tells me it is a Three thing and not the phone. I thought it might be wifi vs the Three 3G connection, but the 3G connection has the same issue. If the password works on webmail, how can it not work in a client???
I believe while most time mail server will use the same password for POP, SMTP and webmail, but it's also possible that they don't
Note. I can't assure that this statement is 100% true, but since some SMTP server even allow anonymous login for sending mails, then it would be possible

as I said earlier, you might want to call the helpdesk once more and ask them for the SMTP settings for literally "any" phones. once you get them, it's quite easy to adapt them to your N900 mail settings

or if you feel adventurous, try messing with the setting yourself. pick either None/Login for Secure Authentication, or pick TLS/SSL/None for Secure Connection, change SMTP port to 587/465/25. basically just try anything that's related to mail sending and see if it works