Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
There's already a topic for this, but it's off-topic as it's in General forum.

This is the Motorola Atrix 4G smartphone:

What's interesting about this smartphone is not that it's running a Tegra 2, but that it is the modular computational-unit that can be placed in a dock, or a laptop-shell to make it act in more of a PC-like manner.

This is most impressive. While underpowered for a laptop, it's certainly good enough to do basic tasks. What's more is that the next generation ARM should put this combination on par with ATOMs which can run desktop apps reliably.

I would like to see this concept extend to a tablet-shell. Basically you get a smartphone and tablet in a single device. Add an extender battery for added life and you get a smartphone and tablet for [presumably] much less than the two alone.

Check out the video at the link above. It runs very well on a 24" screen.

What do you think?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
So you created a duplicate thread instead of using the "report this" link to have it moved to the appropriate location?

Just askin.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
So you created a duplicate thread instead of using the "report this" link to have it moved to the appropriate location?

Just askin.
Yes. Yes I did

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Here's the original Engadget thread*!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/m...dock-hands-on/

* with video!

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Swindon
T

What's interesting about this smartphone is not that it's running a Tegra 2, but that it is the modular computational-unit that can be placed in a dock, or a laptop-shell to make it act in more of a PC-like manner.
It is running the Tegra 2. Or am i missing something?

Originally Posted by mcderment View Post
It is running the Tegra 2. Or am i missing something?
It is..

Actually, there's a better thread for this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67974

The title is somewhat confusing, but it's talking about the Atrix.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ QLD Australia

This is the Motorola Atrix 4G smartphone:

This is most impressive. While underpowered for a laptop, it's certainly good enough to do basic tasks. What's more is that the next generation ARM should put this combination on par with ATOMs which can run desktop apps reliably.

I would like to see this concept extend to a tablet-shell. Basically you get a smartphone and tablet in a single device. Add an extender battery for added life and you get a smartphone and tablet for [presumably] much less than the two alone.

Check out the video at the link above. It runs very well on a 24" screen.

What do you think?
Hi
Didn't Always innovating come up with a similar idea? http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/smartbook.htm
I haven't seen it yet, but looks interesting

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
yes the atrix sounds interesting.i like the fingerprint sensor idea very much
but again,16gb for a full hd recording phone is by far not enough.
for a 1080p phone there should be atleast 32gb mass storage

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

It supports microSD, you could have 48GB total.
The "netbook" dock is also intriguing:

I'm interested to know how much hardware is in the docks and whether or not the Atrix supports USB OTG "natively" (the docks have full-size USB ports but it's unclear if this is a feature only the docks can support).

Additionally I hope someone makes a small/pocket-able slide out keyboard attachment for Atrix (BT would be fine)

Furthermore it is unclear if Motorola will lock the bootloader (probably) and whether or not anyone can crack it. Additionally even cracked, the modifications required to make "vanilla" Android 2.3+ work with the "webtop" applications may prove to be quite a challenge.

Unfortunately there are simply too many unknowns at this point. And AT&T isn't known to go easy on the "DRM".

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
It supports microSD, you could have 48GB total.
The "netbook" dock is also intriguing:

I'm interested to know how much hardware is in the docks and whether or not the Atrix supports USB OTG "natively" (the docks have full-size USB ports but it's unclear if this is a feature only the docks can support).

Additionally I hope someone makes a small/pocket-able slide out keyboard attachment for Atrix (BT would be fine)

Furthermore it is unclear if Motorola will lock the bootloader (probably) and whether or not anyone can crack it. Additionally even cracked, the modifications required to make "vanilla" Android 2.3+ work with the "webtop" applications may prove to be quite a challenge.

Unfortunately there are simply too many unknowns at this point. And AT&T isn't known to go easy on the "DRM".
yes but micro-sd costs you extra money and micro sd cards will never be as fast as your internal memory so for me thats no solution

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Last edited by atilla; 2011-01-09 at 11:42. Reason: typo

Tags
android, atrix, lame idea, lockdown, motorola, nocyanogen, nokia sucks, nokiasucksballs