All his rant about packaging differences was rather pointless.

Inferior ecosystem? LOL. It's one of the most dynamic ecosystems around. Open source is its ecosystem, with many commercial companies investing in the kernel development.

History will write that Linux is the core that runs the Google OS (Android and any future versions and forks). As for the rest - it sucks (with a few but smallish exceptions)

A good OS is invisible. It is just there and does what it is supposed to do with minimal "configuration" from the user. For the end user Linux sucks in the same way Symbian sucks. Powerful and fun OS'es, but they ultimately fail the end user test.

Consequently, the moment Linux stop sucking, it will be dead.

Therefore - sucking is a good thing for Linux and any other open OS, and this is why Jolla will crash and burn. They effectively attack Android head on instead of making something that is worth while.

Sorry, Android is really a dead end. It has success now, but it's not going to be the future of Linux. What Jolla is doing is a right thing. They shouldn't look at Android or whoever else. They just should do the right thing, and they are doing it.

@Specc

For once I have to agree with you.

To compete against an incumbent near monopoly technology and succeed there has to be a disruptive element.

Openness to closed platforms, (source, standards and ecosystem etc) is disruptive and most likely to win in the long term.

for instance, these are winning

Android is more open than the iOS ecosystem
iOS was more flexible than Symbian in many areas
Open Document Format is more open than doc/docx/ooxml
and an example from history Windows for workgroups was more accessible than Netware and we all know which one won.

More of the same traditional staid closed thinking is not disruptive, merely competitive and this is unlikely to unseat the incumbents.

for instance, these are not winning

it is unlikely that Jolla will unseat Android as you say
WP8/appstore will not unseat Apple
iOS will gradually lose to Android

The key here is the more open (source, standards and today also ecosystem) a technology is the better for end users it is and the more disruptive to traditional manufacturer lock ins once it becomes widely accepted and therefore the more likely it is to compete and win.

for Jolla to win it has to completely embrace a fully open stack to be more than an Android wanna be, in the same way WP8 is an Apple wanna be.

Playing catchup is rarely the way to win.

Linux no longer sucks.

Ever since Valve announced formal support for their gaming platform with some seriously impressive results reported even from beta so far.

I realise this may only be posturing though due to Microsoft trying to close their app delivery ecosystem to copy Apple.

Microsoft will of course become mostly irrelevant as soon as they succeed in closing their shop.

Personally my last Windows PC at home remains solely for those rare occasions I play one of Valves games.

Everything else is either Linux or Mac but mostly Linux and has been for nearly a decade.

For me, an end user, Linux is near perfect, it has already won.

I don't suffer OS enforced marketing plugs, adverts or manufacturers artificial restrictions and do not need to become a feature of their revenue stream.

I can't lose with Linux, it is invisible and it just works.

rgds

Last edited by uTMY; 2012-11-25 at 10:05.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
May not be professional but at least it's true.

"Linux" may be a superior OS, but it's an inferior ecosystem.
Similar comparison between Maemo 5 (Linux), iOS (OSX), Android (Win8).
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, have a moment and think it through again.

Originally Posted by Skry View Post
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about, have a moment and think it through again.
I should say the same to you.
Linux is failing. The places its winning is in appliances/embedded, in servers (big footprint, my company uses them) and other "niche".

Linux is failing where the spotlight is: Mainstream.

Everybody knows about Windows, they know about Android, some know about iOS and OSX. They (public) don't really know of Linux's existence.

Yes, this is a good thing... but its also a bad thing.
It is perfectly possible to have Linux presence/dominance in the niche as well as the mainstream. Its because Linux is adaptable to many types of tasks, that's what we mean when we say "it is powerful".

And the point I made earlier is still true today, MeeGo was supposed to be backed by a dozen big corporations and was going to bring Linux into the mainstream by Penetrating it, Standardizing it, Bringing in AAA Developer Incentive and creating a convenient Store for all.

I'm flattered

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
It sucks because YOU are not used to it. For me, I have Win8 & Ubuntu 12.04. I absolutely love Ubuntu (which is Linux based) and I use it more than Windows. And as flopjoke once told me, Ubuntu is useless if you don't play around with it. It is cool for some people, and sucks for others. You don't like it, keep that to yourself I didn't like it when I first had it, install Wine and a bit of other themes and tweaks, and it will be hot as hell
AMD read that comment again and I bet you will want to delete your post as you have totally missed the point

Failing? Linux usage is constantly growing. What's failing is MS monopoly which is crumbling.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Guys, sorry I can't help it but why is Harry Potter in that video?

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
May not be professional but at least it's true.

"Linux" may be a superior OS, but it's an inferior ecosystem.
Similar comparison between Maemo 5 (Linux), iOS (OSX), Android (Win8).
As the overall quality of any OS is clearly also determined by it's eco-system, how exactly would your statement work? How would Linux be superior but still be inferior at the same time?

In other words, how do you let it roll squarely?

I think the guy in the presentation made some valid points, nevertheless...

Tags
linux=different, tl:dw