Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Where is ZogG when you need him?
What exactly do you need me for? To repeat what i said before it was cool to tell and everyone called me troll?
You can blame market, you can blame users, you can blame anyone, but probably the main problem is that they did things wrong.
I explained why and when not one time. But I hate it that when i say stuff that is not positive but turns to be true, people call me troll. I know it's related on how I tell it, but the point is that I'm tech guy and I think it's not about what words exactly you choose but the meaning.

So if anyone feels good about calling me troll to ignore the problems, I would take it

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
What exactly do you need me for? To repeat what i said before it was cool to tell and everyone called me troll?
You can blame market, you can blame users, you can blame anyone, but probably the main problem is that they did things wrong.
I explained why and when not one time. But I hate it that when i say stuff that is not positive but turns to be true, people call me troll. I know it's related on how I tell it, but the point is that I'm tech guy and I think it's not about what words exactly you choose but the meaning.

So if anyone feels good about calling me troll to ignore the problems, I would take it
Hear!

It is sad if they fail. But not really end of the world.
I will not blame them (Jolla) for the effort whatever goes.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
But if Jolla get employees to leave to be able to ship to customers I applaud. Save the customers at all costs.
Yeah, that's right! Get rid of all the engineers, all the finance people, all the marketers. Just do what you can asap to plop a tablet into the hands of everyone who ordered one. Of course, the fact that the device will not have any support and new features never added because there isn't anyone left to do that kind of work doesn't matter...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
But if Jolla get employees to leave to be able to ship to customers I applaud. Save the customers at all costs.
Seriously??? That's all you care about? Your tablet? Even without 3G?

Customers always take the hit. That is sad reality. Look at all those customers stranded abroad when the tour operator who got them there folded. You not getting your tablet or me being left with a phone with no future updates is nothing compared to a family with three small children stranded on Ibiza nad having to find their own way home.

Jolla has tried. They have not made aa big a hole in the world as we had hoped but blaming them? No way. I take my hat off and bow to them. I may mention a thing or two where I think they made a mistake but that does in no way diminish my respect for them.

I still hope this is only a temporary setback although it does not look good.

Yes. Better than get rid of poeple and ship nothing at all.
Yeah, sure. The nonexistent finance manager will pay the factory to ship the tablets to the nonexistent employees at the fulfillment center. You'll then get an e-mail invite from the nonexistent support employees, which you will fill out and return, which will then be read by the nonexistent fulfillment employees, to ship your package out to you. Of course, when you find that the display is cracked (which should have been caught by the nonexistent quality control people), you'll then have to ship the tablet back to the nonexistent support folks to have it fixed.

In short, getting rid of people is tantamount to shipping nothing at all.

Yes, hope they Will Manage to ship and Then a nice comback. Bu only if they deliver what they say.
Man, their engineers are going off to work at other companies. There _is_ no comeback from that. (Just think Nokia if you really need a concrete example...)

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Like the captain you stay With the ship to save others.
That never happens in the corporate world. Instead, the captain tells the crew and passengers to remain calm, and that everything is just fine. Meanwhile, the captain is busy searching for the nearest lifeboat to get the hell out of there before the ship goes down.

My website

GitHub

I think quite a few good things came out of Jolla, the HADK is pure and utter gold and the amount of work that went into it is amazing. Also much of the source code is reuseable. Its brought Mer a long way.

Maybe this community will actually take whats there and make their Utopic OS, and not be dependent on companies like Jolla. Maybe a rebirth of Hildon, I remember w00t creating a desktop prototype in QML.

We currently have everything we could ever want in terms of technology, libhybris so we can base on any android device, and maybe Sailfish with a different kind of frontend.

Just in case I wasn't clear.
I would rather not get the tablet as opposed to Jolla going bankrupt, or, in my opinion, having to lay off people.
Heck. I would put whatever I can once again to help them continue.
I have lost job before to let other people in, and I would do it again.

For what it's worth, the latest Jolla community meeting log is quite interesting to read:

http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-m...14.30.log.html

In the latter half or so, Stskeeps describes a potential move to a Qt-style dual-licensing scheme for the Sailfish OS, and then the topic moves to dealing with the worst-case scenario; what could be done to keep devices running, and allow community support for Sailfish, should Jolla close its doors. Also, the next meeting has been moved up to next week, given the current circumstances...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-11-19 at 19:01.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Same reason why "Year of the Linux Desktop" has yet to happen... I blame the users.
on desktop it is because X11 and nvidia, intel, ati GFX drivers sucks both open and closed drivers that is.

My Lenovo at work constantly fails GFX glitches and dual screen problems and so on Just came home from work. Three times this day my work was interrupted by this ****ing messy X11/xrandr/gfx shitness.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund