Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
you didn't meant any users in your question.
Nope, you have to read between the lines

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Weelll @coderus is absolutely correct, since flasher is just about the only thing we cannot easily make by ourselves.
Everything else I need I can make or port to the device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Weelll @coderus is absolutely correct, since flasher is just about the only thing we cannot easily make by ourselves.
Everything else I need I can make or port to the device.
Maybe there is a reason for no flasher approuch?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
I guess Myriad restrictions regarding Alien Dalvik, or Google, or Oracle, I don't know. If you think carefully, all ports of SailfishOS to other devices miss the android compatibility feature. And since the users himself can use the hardware adaptation toolkit... Place your bets on why.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
I guess Myriad restrictions regarding Alien Dalvik, or Google, or Oracle, I don't know. If you think carefully, all ports of SailfishOS to other devices miss the android compatibility feature. And since the users himself can use the hardware adaptation toolkit... Place your bets on why.
Even if that were true, it doesn't really excuse Jolla's wall of silence on this or other issues. They could simply say what the situation is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
The CTO (Stefano Mosconi) of Jolla said they are working on it. So yes it will come.
Also Stskeeps said a while ago on IRC that it's not a licensing issue, but more a technical.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
LOL - you'd get eaten quickly if you were a fish

But there is a Netflix application for Android, isn't it? And Jolla has Alien Dalvik, right? So, there you go. Why waste resources on something that works already?
If you want android apps, why not get an android? There is even jolla launcher. Seriously I don't see the point of me to buy non-Android phone to run android apps. It can be helpful as an addition as some would not port there apps, but not as main source of apps. Maemo5/N9 by the age Jolla is one already got much more apps and it was without android support

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
If you want android apps, why not get an android? There is even jolla launcher. Seriously I don't see the point of me to buy non-Android phone to run android apps. It can be helpful as an addition as some would not port there apps, but not as main source of apps. Maemo5/N9 by the age Jolla is one already got much more apps and it was without android support
Well, 2 points:
1. Define "main source of apps" - to me it is way more important to have proper IMAP/XMPP support than netflix for example. What is your flavour of preference? Everybody is different and I did mention in a later post that you could arguably use TJC for Jolla to find out what's "important" and they can _potentially_ invest some time in making their own applications for those non standard services.
2. Maemo5/N9 was initiated by a company that [still] has a lot more resources than Jolla, so understandably they could make things happen a lot quicker.

Like you say, Alien Dalvik is good for addition of applications that won't be there quickly for Sailfish. Dave999 quoted Netflix and Chromecast as examples - to me they are irrelevant, hence my counter argument.

FWIW, Netflix could just use HTML5 and every browser compatible with that technology would be able to use it. Problem solved. I don't really know what use I could give a google dongle, so I'll refrain to comment.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
If you want android apps, why not get an android?
That is indeed the question some of us are beginning to ask. When I bought my Jolla (as a First One) I had high hopes for it.

But here we are 16 months later and, whilst Jolla have busily been patching and updating Sailfish, it still doesn't meet the promise that Jolla originally held out. And I'm increasingly beginning to feel that many of those who defend the current Jolla phone are subject to the free-choice paradigm of cognitive dissonance.

For example, and in response to your question, the store still doesn't have the capability to charge for apps. So if I'm a developer what do I do? If I create free apps, and I've got one that works on Android (and thus Alien Dalvik) why, when I probably have limited resources, waste time creating a native Sailfish version? And if I create apps that need to be paid for, well I'm out of luck. So basically most apps, and certainly most mainstream apps (and a fair number of niche apps - I don't expect my bank to be writing a native Sailfish banking app anytime soon) are only going to be available on the Jolla as Android apps.

So it isn't a question of wanting Android apps; it is a question of only being offered Android apps.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
^^^ is exactly why I never could convince myself to part with my money for a Jolla. It simply never felt worth even a fraction of its price after the initial euphoria died down. I was one of those who were taken in for their fancy marketing terms like etrazz (spelling?) display etc but when I saw the specs and found them to be a downgrade compared to the i9305 I was using at that time it became a big No-no.

Nothing from then on has made me regret my decision regardless of how much I want them to make me regret it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: