Has anybody managed to use The Jolla as a USB modem (or bluetooth)? In other words, has anybody used it to access the internet using teethering?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Will it be just like the Nokia N9? (Where it gets better, but mainly things that should be there from day 1)
I just hope this doesn't disrupt Jolla too much, and a much more ambitious Jolla 2 is in the works.
Resources collapsed for the N9 pretty much completely no more than 6mth after it 1st came out, even before then it had started to drop significantly.
So no, I don't see how parallels can be drawn...
No need for anything more ambitious on the sw side, just keep plugging away (hard), hw side could benefit from a bit more ambitiousness for the Jolla 2.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Has anybody managed to use The Jolla as a USB modem (or bluetooth)? In other words, has anybody used it to access the internet using teethering?
With developer mode and ip forwarding it works great.

Set up the network, set the device ip as gateway, make sure your pc has a valid dns set (if not set 8.8.8.8) And put this in a script you execute after devel-su on the phone.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i rmnet0 -o rndis0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i rndis0 -o rmnet0 -j ACCEPT

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Finally and my big thanks for this most useful info.

This took a mighty long time to surface if I may add. Could it be true most people are not that into multi-tasking after all?
I'd say anybody using android apps isn't into multitasking at all

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
RE: using The Jolla as a USB Modem: With developer mode and ip forwarding it works great.
Thanks for this - can I ask you if The Jolla exposes itself as a PPP modem, which you should be able to find out easily with lsusb -v (assuming your PC runs *nix, otherwise don't worry too much about it).

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
Have a number of frustrations which have caused me to wipe the phone 4 times so far

It has taken 4 wipes before the phone has recognised the white other half and installed the theme

It doesn't recognise the orange one at all

But the biggest issue is that it won't download from the jolla store - I get a message which just says "problem with store" no matter what I try to install

I'm beginning to get very fed up with this. I've checked the date, time and time zone are correct. I've tried a battery pull. I've tried disabling wifi and accessing the store over 3G. I've tried the various wipes I mentioned, but now have no idea what next to do

Be glad of any suggestions. Also doesn't seem to install dev mode either - nothing happens when I accept the terms

Have you enabled developer mode and there under SSU clicked the "Allow developer updates"? It was mentioned earlier that this should not be done! Can't remember the exact problem it caused, something to do with the repositories it enables are not yet open for public or something like that. That messed my phone with similar problems you are mentioning the store problem for example. I did Factory reset and didn't touch anything under that SSU part again and everything has so far worked perfectly.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
I assume he is asking about prefix recognizing within a carrier (in his case the same number, but prefix 040 and 050), which Nokia phones were for some obscure tech reason unable to differentiate - and hence just showed the number, not the contact name.

Peeks my curiosity as well...?
Okay, I created a test person that has the same phone number as my work phone but this time with prefix 040 instead of correct 050. Notice that in Finland 040 and 050 are different carriers. When I try to call to my Jolla from my work phone it shows correctly my name instead of just created test person. So I would like to think it works at least between different carriers at Finland.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Thanks for this - can I ask you if The Jolla exposes itself as a PPP modem, which you should be able to find out easily with lsusb -v (assuming your PC runs *nix, otherwise don't worry too much about it).
Just an USB rndis network. You just need to make sure the data connection is on. No messing with PPP and such. Much nicer imho.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
Have you enabled developer mode and there under SSU clicked the "Allow developer updates"? It was mentioned earlier that this should not be done! Can't remember the exact problem it caused, something to do with the repositories it enables are not yet open for public or something like that. That messed my phone with similar problems you are mentioning the store problem for example. I did Factory reset and didn't touch anything under that SSU part again and everything has so far worked perfectly.
Yes I did. I've now wiped it again and left developer mode well alone for now!

Only problem I have right now is alarms. I set one for 6:43, set it and when it returned to the alarm screen, it showed 7:43

Convinced I must have made a stupid mistake I tried again, being very careful this time and I did set it for 6:43 - but it came up as 7:43 again!

Time zone is definitely right, so puzzled by that one. More to the point I now have 2 alarms at 7:43am, and I can't work out how to delete either, all I am able to do is toggle on or off

ah hurrah capchas are off - I must have asked enough!

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Just noticed funny thing. In the Jolla.com homepage in one of the first pictures in the carousel at the top of the page. There is a device and in that device the launcher shows that there is a native File manager-app installed on it.

Wonder why they didn't release that app already

File managers from android stores do work, but it would be nice to have a native one

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience