Appmanager is come far since OS2007; it actually works now. But it's still painfully slow. In one case, at least, I know this can be fixed; when you click the wrong app, then cancel the resulting Install? dialog, no update would be needed.

A manual override for "incompatible application package" would be nice, too.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-03-26 at 20:42.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Standardization of all of the aforementioned "lazy" items via some approval process(-es).

Not saying it's not yet in place - I install pretty much the same things from my 770 days on my N810 - but it seems to be that in a sea of apps out there, some of it isn't labeled, updated or maintained properly.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by wv9k View Post
I'm afraid to try to add much of anything anymore and even more afraid to try to update something.
Erm, why, exactly? :\

Originally Posted by evad View Post
2) Browse packages by repository (mentioned before), or at least add a source repository information in package details
This really shouldn't be an issue, as Extras should (mostly) be the be-all end-all repository.

4) Better UI layout. Currently in 'Browse installable applications' section there are buttons with names, which is not very convenient, and I end up browsing 'All' anyway. I'd go for some kind of structured tree or such.
This goes back to package maintainers and their very poor category selection (especially as categories are case-sensitive and nobody can decide on whether certain categories should be plural or not). A good centralized guideline (and strict adherence to it) would help a lot in reducing the number of categories and increasing their usefulness.

5) Actually, porting Smart or Synaptic as default package manager would be quite nice idea
Shoehorning them into the amount of screen real-estate we have will be no simple task (take a loot a Synaptic in johnx's Debian port if you want to see).

6) Browse updated packages after refreshing repositories. Currently Managers asks me if I want to refresh app list, I tap Yes, but.. I don't really know what's new.
A "New Since Last Update" or "Freshmeat" pseudo-category would be very helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I would be happy with a separate app that can search the sources.list, verify which repositories are responding and disable the ones that are not responding, and enable disabled ones that are now responding.

This would save me the time of figuring which repo is not responding.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I would be happy with a separate app that can search the sources.list, verify which repositories are responding and disable the ones that are not responding, and enable disabled ones that are now responding.
Really what would help is a sane (and, perhaps, more intelligent—apt will timeout on every one of the repository.maemo.org repositories rather than timing out on one of them and realizing the rest wont work either) fetch timeout. It's something like 300 seconds right now, and if I don't have the info I need in 300 seconds, then I don't need it (and wont get it). <_<

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
This would save me the time of figuring which repo is not responding.
Well, the OS2008 Application manager will give you a list of repositories that had errors at the end of the update process. The sane timeouts mentioned above would make it a lot less painful to deal with unresponsive repos.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This really shouldn't be an issue, as Extras should (mostly) be the be-all end-all repository.
There are, however, lots of other repositories, these small ones with just few packages each. I have more than 10-20 repos stored in my App Manager and it's almost impossible to figure out which package in the list comes from which repo. :(

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This goes back to package maintainers and their very poor category selection
Of course, but improving presentation of these categories is something that could be done within App Manager itself. As I said - tree would probably be the best example.

There are, however, lots of other repositories, these small ones with just few packages each. I have more than 10-20 repos stored in my App Manager and it's almost impossible to figure out which package in the list comes from which repo.
Right, my point was simply that Extras should be the primary repo going forward (assuming XFade's improvements to the website and Extras will show some fruit sometime soon).

Of course, but improving presentation of these categories is something that could be done within App Manager itself. As I said - tree would probably be the best example.
I'm not sure how a tree will help here. The categories are all User/*, so there really isn't another step of granularity between User and *.

There really needs to be a "New" section in the application manager that puts new apps in one spot for a week or so after they are added, or maybe when they are updated as well.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Yup, lots of good suggestions here. To add my voice.

1) Put "Refresh Application List" as a big honkin button on the main screen, not buried in a menu. Replace the squarey-squares with this button, perhaps.

2) Useful categories. I also find myself browsing "All" all the time, and constantly cursing that gcompris takes up screens of space.

3) Better error managing. I hate going into "Update" and getting the mysterious "Failed" message. Why show this at all? Why not do something about the error instead of just panicking the user?

4) Lose the "red pill mode". If you add experimental repositories, you should be informed of the risks at that point. If you are going to hose your system, you should get a dire warning like Debian gives you (you have to type "Yes, I know what I'm doing" to proceed)

5) Multiple installs at once would be nice.

Last edited by BoxOfSnoo; 2008-03-27 at 00:11. Reason: Finished my sentence!

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
One thing they could do is move those packages with TONS of elements into their own repository, that way one isn't stuck with paging through pages after page after page after page after page of something they could care less about. The big kids games package and the IM client (names of which both escape me) come to mind (been a while since I could gather up the courage to wade through them :-).
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.