Fujitsu H900 looks nice, but it's larger than the Umid and mbook:

http://www.netbooknews.de/13982/jenn...i-netbook-aus/

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
By this you mean get $LINUX_DISTRO and install Fremantle Hildon-Desktop? Maemo needs a massive rework from the ground up, from the horribly written initscripts to the proprietary bits (and d-bus abuse). It's a lot better to start from a regular Desktop Linux distro, slap on the things that make Maemo look like Maemo, thus making a nice cushion of support for core components while letting devs focus on modernizing whatever components of Maemo we have (you know, like our multitasking that's still 9000 years ahead of everybody else).
That sounds like a great idea. I think what would be even better would be if the phone bits were just created into a source available framework. Then, you could use whichever distro you like and be able to compile and install the phone stuff. I'd love to have a full gentoo install on my phone... not in a chroot or have everything funnelled through busybox.

As for the gnome/kde comments... I think something much less bloated would be better, like fluxbox or even xfce.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
get the droid 4 when it gets out.....im thinking about it

Well, I've been convinced to give a Galaxy S II a go. It'll be my primary phone but my trusty N900 will still be my primary computer in my pocket.

Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I am seriously thinking about doing this. I will buy my Raspberry PI as soon as they are available. But will it be possible to use a touch lcd screen?
This has been discussed on the Pi forums already and it looks like it will be a possibility. There is also discussions of getting some members of the RepRap & MakerBots communities involved to make cases for them. But they too are waiting for their Pi units before they can make a decision what they can do.

On a side note, my friend and I have been looking into building one of these makerbots for our RC Car parts. He owns his own RC shop and in my previous carrier I trained as an apprentice engineer in Fabrication and CAD design. Now with the idea of making a Pi case and seeing a market to be had, I may have to get serious with the idea?

As for the x86 devices that are being suggested, they are nice but I do feel that the devices wont have the communities behind them like we have with ARM boards. I can't say that I have ever come across an x86 forum who hold the passion for their chipset like we have for the NITs, Panda/Beagle boards and the like.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
There is also discussions of getting some members of the RepRap & MakerBots communities involved to make cases for them. But they too are waiting for their Pi units before they can make a decision what they can do.

On a side note, my friend and I have been looking into building one of these makerbots for our RC Car parts. He owns his own RC shop and in my previous carrier I trained as an apprentice engineer in Fabrication and CAD design. Now with the idea of making a Pi case and seeing a market to be had, I may have to get serious with the idea?
I also thought about making my own case based on this design (http://www.concept-phones.com/nokia/...tphone-design/), carving it out a solid polycarbonate block by building my own milling machine. I could do so much fun stuff with it :-)
How much do one of those machine cost?

And are there camera modules like the one in N8 or better that can be used with the PI?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I also thought about making my own case based on this design (http://www.concept-phones.com/nokia/...tphone-design/), carving it out a solid polycarbonate block by building my own milling machine. I could do so much fun stuff with it :-)
How much do one of those machine cost?

And are there camera modules like the one in N8 or better that can be used with the PI?

The RepRaps can be made for as little as £400 if you supply most of the parts yourself, their forums have listings for the required parts and the brackets are made by community members on their own machines. The sodtware is FOSS too.

Infact the software come with the pattern models for the brackets and they actively encourage you to make the parts to sell on effectively making your printer pay for itself.

A decent assembled models can be bought £1000+ and you will find that many of the online 3d printing studios are using these.

If all of that sounds like too much hard work and money, there are the sites like this who can fabricate one offs at a reasonable price.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Maybe a device running MER?

http://www.merproject.org/

"For those of you generally interested in Open Mobile Linux, we'll have
a devroom at FOSDEM (www.fosdem.org, 4-5 feb 2012) in Brussels,
Belgium, see http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/call_for_p...t_fosdem_2012/
- hope to see many of you there."

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Hi, I think my N900 is almost dead, so I am thinking about getting a new one or return to a dumbphone and wait until something able to replace N900 shows up. I don't like Android, even if as a "phone" it can be considered nice, but as a "real" computer it's missing a lot. I would be looking for something like SG Note, but smaller, and without Android, jeje. On the other side, I've got to the conclusion I would only "accept" Android if it was bundled with Ubuntu for Android, and so I would be happy. I see this as commercially, technologically and almost ethically acceptable (as N900, BTW), but I've not seen any news about it since it was mentioned something like a month ago.
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android
If such a device were launched, I could even accept it not having HW Keyboard, as I already own a BT keyboard, and I would buy it. But why doesn't anybody (any company) seems to be interested on it?
As I said before, I think Android is good as a Phone, but lacks real computing power. Ubuntu is not meant to be used as a phone. But both being used for what they were meant to be, sounds good for me. And, the important part is it has a better "commercial" support, as Google+Samsung?/Motorola?+Cannonical would be supporting it... so we could expect updates and commercial apps (which are already on Ubuntu, for example)...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

I want something... that can make me keep drawing while on the phone. Galaxy Note loses out in my interest for not having a physical QWERTY keyboard AND running Android. Hey, don't take me wrong, I don't have any personal vendetta against Android. To put it short, if at least, it can't do something like this... (note the KRDC window and the MyPaint app running on my laptop):

... then any prospect of a new phone for me is at an impasse. I'm liking what the N9 is, but currently the inability to use it as my portable drawing pad, and the lack of the sliding QWERTY, is kind of a deal-killer for me.

Granted, I don't draw often because I rarely have time for it due to work; but still, this was one of my major attraction to the N900 and the main reason I specifically targetted it as my next purchase a few months back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameReaper For This Useful Post: