Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Tried it and seems ok with me! A little bit more and i'll get used to it. Good thing I have a past experience with an eseries device with small qwerty keyboard. And also good thing this good old n900 isn't a capacitive screen else this would be impossible to use. Also isn' this python script a battery hog? Cause if i would regularly use this then this script should open 18hours a day.
Again, I said this isn't day-to-day usable. The battery does suffer a bit (exactly how much, I don't know), because of the constant polling.

Originally Posted by God_Lx View Post
Could something like matchbox-keyboard, ukeyboard, xkbd or xvkbd from the N800 be used for any advantage and have a Portrait Keyboard (skinning the keyboard to look good should be the easy part I believe) or it's just easier to try and resize the elements and rotate like the method found ?
The problem is that the N800's stulus keyboard is completely different; it allows you to interact with whatever's behind it.

Worth a try though, will do some time later.

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
very nice one question will it be possible to run this script on startup? and how much battery will it consume?
Again, I don't recommend this, but I'm sure there's a way. Will look into that later as well.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

No. This just has helped me a little. Actually I modified the code. Wherein if I want to make my phone into portrait I just change the phones position to portrait and execute the script whenever I need it to be portrait and landscape if I want it back. I just played with pythons condition statements and removed time.sleep and changed it to code block to end the script and to disable the loopback of the script every second.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
And btw! You can just remove the function get_rotation
it starts with the line with the code def get_rotation and ends with print get_rotation. Its of no use for end users as all it does is show the current angle status of the phone and just stresses the phone more every second.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
It's so funny that I spent so long wanting a portrait keyboard on the N900, and now that I have one I finally realize that the N900 is WAY too narrow to hold and type with two thumbs in portrait mode.

LOL, I'll be more careful in what I wish for in the future....

SUGGESTION. well, can someone who is capable adjust this script or the kernel itself so that the PR 1.2 built in rotation system works all the time from the 'settings'? rather, make it rotate.py like, so that the keyboard would turn as well. they keyboard is usable in basic messages, although the phone itself turned out to be difficult to hold

Originally Posted by BN900 View Post
SUGGESTION. well, can someone who is capable adjust this script or the kernel itself so that the PR 1.2 built in rotation system works all the time from the 'settings'? rather, make it rotate.py like, so that the keyboard would turn as well. they keyboard is usable in basic messages, although the phone itself turned out to be difficult to hold
If only Hildon desktop environment is open source this would be possible.. As the whole DE is the one responsible for giving the maemo a user interface.

It's like the maemo OS is a car and the desktop interface is the driver... Without the driver all a car can do is run the engine but it can't drift, turn, blow a horn etc...

I know that the PR1.2 "Ctrl-Shift-R" rotation method is less buggy then the rotate.py script method, but rotatte.py is persistent (you don't have to keep invoking it, just let the script run in the background to affect all apps) and rotate.py allows portrait use of the keyboard.

Therefore I'm guessing some folks will opt for rotate.py to get their portrait on instead of using the PR1.2 default portrait method. In that case, it might be helpful to try this:

To make rotate.py activate automatically upon device startup and to let it run without having to keep an x-terminal window open, why not just write up an upstart script to execute "python rotate.py" upon start on started xsession?

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
the problem as i understand it is that the rotate.py script keeps executing itself in a loop every second, which is a bit of a drain on battery according to people here.

Yes true. Here is the needed code for the script to rotate the whole UI
while True:
[x,y,z] = get_rotation()
print x,y,z
if y < -500:
rotate(1)
elif y > 500:
rotate(4)

elif x < -500:
rotate(2)
elif x > 500:
rotate(8)
And here is the loop which executes the script every second
time.sleep(1)
on that script it instructs that once the device reads that code it stops for 1 second(the lesser the time is the more accurate the rotation will be) and then start reading again the code from the start.
The key is for getting an alternative for that code that instead of looping the code every second to detect the device's position. My idea is either using QT to detect the device's auto rotation using this code
win.setAttribute(Qt::WA_Maemo5AutoOrientation, true);
and execute execute the python script whenever the app encounters that event. But thing is I don't know much about QT. LOL

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2010-06-01 at 15:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BN900 View Post
the problem as i understand it is that the rotate.py script keeps executing itself in a loop every second, which is a bit of a drain on battery according to people here.
Sure, but if you see a battery hit or just get sick of the rotation you can just issue a kill command on the script from x-terminal at any time, right?