Hi guys,

my beloved N900 just died and I urgently need to access some phone numbers. I have a backup on my SD card, but how can I restore it without a phone? Ovi Suite seems to need a phone. I really need a number from there. Please help, any advise is appreciated.

Sad greetings,
Ste

The Following User Says Thank You to STE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Meppen, Germany
have you tried reflashing your N900 ?

Hi Mautz,

yes, without success. The phone is completely dead. No reaction if I connect it via USB. Do you have an idea, how I can read the contents of my backup from my pc (windows)

Ste

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Look in the Backup folder on the SD card, and you'll find backup folders for each of the backups. In the latest one, you'll find a file called comm_and_cal.zip which can be unzipped with any utility that handles zip files. Inside that zip file is a file call addressbook.db, which is an sqlite database of the contacts on the device. You can use plenty of database reader programs to read that and look in the proper tables for the information you're looking for.

The format for the tables involved, but is documented several places. If you're diving for one particular number, doing it by hand is probably worth it. If you want to get all of them, it may be easier to have someone dump the database. There are a few python based apps for the N900 that would probably run on any linux based system, given the right packages are installed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
you could get another N900 and solve your problem immediately???

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
The firefox sqlite extension is quite useful for inspecting sqlite dbs.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatGonzo For This Useful Post:
Hi guys,

thank you for your feedback. So at least there is a way and I am getting slowly there. I looked at the file addressbook.db in the path Backup03\comm_and_cal\Root\home\user\.osso-abook-backup\db. The SQLite Browser I installed tells me, that it is not an SQLite3 Database and refuses to open it.
However, the file is readable with a textviewer (some kind of structured data with tags BEGIN:VCARD and END:VCARD. Inbetween I find my conatcs. Thanks god! It's not the most elegant way, but it works.

Now I am trying to find my notes, which I took in the calendar. I have identified the file calendardb.backup in the path Backup03\comm_and_cal\Root\home\user\.calendar. The content is defenitely there, but how to read it? what is .backup for a type?

Thx again
Ste

Never mind! calendar.backup is indeed an SQLite file. The Browser reads it perfectly!

Haleluya and thank you again.

Ste

Hi STE

Using SQLite Manager i've found the 'Compontents' table. I can't figure out how to conver the DateStart and DateEnd records into normal dates though.

How did you do that? i.e. what would this date translate to: 1096326000?

Thanks!
Bryan

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Isn't that Unix time?

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-10-28 at 17:12. Reason: fixing typo