Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Uruk View Post
I installed mplayer, but what command I have to use to play movie with external subs??
EDIT:
I installed KMplayer and subtitles works.
What's the difference between mplayer and KMplayer? When will both be available on the Extras library? Would like the bug free versions when available. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobilefan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Also feel free to vote for https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6464 by clicking "Vote for this bug".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
Originally Posted by mobilefan View Post
What's the difference between mplayer and KMplayer?
mplayer is the real media player, but it comes without a GUI (Graphical User Interface), so if you want to use it, you have to use XTerm and command it (STOP, PLAY, FF, REW) through keyboard key. This is not user friendly of course, therefore there is some frontend that allow you to ignore the Xterm-way and use a more user friendly interface. One of this is KMplayer which is originally written for KDE using the QT.
Hope this is clear... if not, ask more ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I can read subtitles with kmplayer front-end using same name than avi file, and with mplayer as video output

mplayer 1.0rc1maemo29
kmplayer 0.9.5-2

And Mplayer in CLI (command line) shows subtitles even without parameters

#mplayer /media/mmc2/myvideo.avi

for different file names...

#mplayer /media/mmc2/myvideo.avi -sub /media/mmc2/mysubtitle.srt

my old message:

I think we should specify the version number of apps in our comments, in these case the version of mplayer and kmplayer
I think this is more useful than to speak about repositories, because repositories aren live environments.

Last edited by daperezg; 2009-12-11 at 17:48. Reason: improve content

The Following User Says Thank You to daperezg For This Useful Post:
Ok, I just downloaded the kmplayer version 0.10.2-3, hoping that this player will support subtitles on video files. There are two files, the video file is .avi and the subtitle file is named the same as the video file but with extension .srt. How do I get the kmplayer to show the subtitles while i am watching the respective video file? Right now the video file plays, but the subtitles do no show up while the video is playing. What do I need to do?

Thanks.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
kmplayer have few menus but you can be configure which video output will be used (i think options are oss or mplayer), you must specify mplayer.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperezg For This Useful Post:
I thought kmplayer was capable of playing the video files and subtiles files without the need of mplayer, no? Well, I did not download mplayer because I only trust apps in the Extras repository. I haven't ventured out to the Extras -Testing. Any idea how I can play video files with separate subtitle (.srt) files on kmplayer? I checked/changed the menu settings, but nothing seems to make a difference.

I think mplayer does it automatically (as in it'll look for an .srt file with the same name as the video your watching).

KMPlayer is just a front-end, it uses gstreamer (default in the N900, same as the regular media player) or mplayer (an alternate player) as a backend.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think mplayer does it automatically (as in it'll look for an .srt file with the same name as the video your watching).

KMPlayer is just a front-end, it uses gstreamer (default in the N900, same as the regular media player) or mplayer (an alternate player) as a backend.
Ok, I see what you're saying then. Do you know when or if mplayer will ever be released in Extras?

Thanks.

Hi mates

Try installing SIB (it's the program name). it's reads srt automatically when it's got the same name as the avi file.

E.g.:

dexter.avi
dexter.srt

it works fine for me!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to montesao For This Useful Post: