Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, I can add that as a solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
But what about someone with the ability to code in C++ and .Net or even Qt, but does not have any experience of Maemo?

Also, would you not have preferred an easier way to look at the Maemo environment without the need to deal with disk image?
I only made an objection to a relatively small point you made while I was also saying that I'm supporting the "great picture".

Texrat offered a great solution; kudos to both
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
If the VM and VM image is good enough, which partly depends on hardware, you won't give a damn about it not being native. AS/400, Solaris Containers/Zones, Xen, VMware Workstation, Parallels (for Mac), Rosetta prove this to be true. The latter 3 even allow one to run the application under a VM without a full desktop, including support for theming. It is same with running x86-32 applications on x86-64. With recent Intel and AMD processors utilizing HVM on host OS you get almost 100% performance in a x86-64 or x86-32 guest OS although I/O is one area which traditionally lacks which is a reason Xen requires modification in guest OS. With Xen, you can get even more than 100% performance. You also may have to enable HVM in your BIOS (!!!). So, IMO, you need specific arguments. For example, why Eclipse doesn't cut it for you. Keep in mind that when you use the SDK you are also using a VM: QEMU. Enabling HVM will improve the performance for QEMU as well.

@ lcuk, you could use NFS as well, having all the native ARM stuff on a dedicated server. Or use sbrsh(d). Seriously, sbrsh(d) is exactly made for this, and I'm pretty damn sure its how Nokia uses it internally. Yes, over rsh, not ssh. For performance reasons (SSH is overhead, especially on embedded environments, and NFS is lightweight as well; both are tried and true on *NIX, but can be made to run on Windows as well).

Also, developers need to have some kind of *NIX knowledge. It really helps a lot when developing just like being able to program is useful as UNIX admin. Sometimes, the command line is just faster than GUI, and sometimes programming it yourself is faster than using a script engine.

It is a pre, much like knowing *NIX helps you find your way in Maemo. I do understand the reasons for providing the choice of not requiring this knowledge though, but Qt is targeted for Maemo 6. It does not surprise me there is no good Qt IDE for Maemo 6 for Windows yet given there is also no official support for Qt on Maemo either. c't 2010/10 contains good introduction for programming with Qt with Qt Creator. Yes, the howto is platform agnostic. I thought there was also an in depth tutorial for automating & aiding scripting which is useful too but I can't find the article.

Solution: Cygwin?
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Solution #4 added

And to allnameswereout: you have no idea how truly lazy I am.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Qt-Creator just added Maemo support code in Git recently.

Though I have no idea how to trigger it. But it's really nice to write on Qt-Creator anyway.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bbns For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vpc-sdk

doesn't get much easier than that...

I just tried that out...I had better luck with vmware and my already existing virtual machine.

The installer script dies when it runs "CheckNetwork" it says no network connection can be found (all while I'm googling inside the virtual machine)

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by arpwatch View Post
I just tried that out...I had better luck with vmware and my already existing virtual machine.

The installer script dies when it runs "CheckNetwork" it says no network connection can be found (all while I'm googling inside the virtual machine)
CheckNetwork verifies that a connection to repository.maemo.org is possible (a simple ping, actually). maybe your resolv.conf is broken.

for further troubleshooting we should move to this thread, so we can keep this one clean for the brainstorm.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by arpwatch View Post

I got that too and thought I was doing something wrong.. Is this broken?

EDIT: Missed your post SubCore.. will continue troubleshooting in your posted thread instead. TA

The Following User Says Thank You to claesbas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Solution #4 added

And to allnameswereout: you have no idea how truly lazy I am.
Not drunk as are I.

Concerning Cygwin and Maemo SDK in VM see this thread by developer of vpc-sdk. It allows you to 'seemingly' use SDK as regular desktop windows in Windows, much like Parallels/VMware Workstation/Rosetta.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post: